#1 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:57 PM

Hi

We purchased Firestone Ride-Rite airbags a few months ago,...but have been having a really hard time actually getting them.  They are on back order for several months from every distributor we have talked to.   Our mechanic is able to get Airlift airbag kit.  I am not familiar with Airlift and wonder if anyone has any experience with that company?  Can anyone recommend or not Airlift?

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 June 2021 - 11:36 PM

Have had both... I would never go back to Air Lift... just too many issues... they blew out at the worst possible time. Rider rites on two trucks have never let me down (unless I aired down!)

Edited by buckland, 04 June 2021 - 11:37 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 June 2021 - 12:53 AM

I believe my 2007 Ranger had Airlift airbags, the Firestones would not fit that truck.  I had no issues with them.  

The Ski3pins may have them on their Ranger.

I am haunted by waters

#4 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 05 June 2021 - 01:32 AM

I previously had both and I preferred Firestone Ride Rite over Airlift.  

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#5 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 05 June 2021 - 02:37 AM

Have had Firestone on both of my Fords with no issues

#6 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 04:56 AM

thanks for the replies...I am still leaning towards just waiting for the Firestone Ride Rites.  Heres the big question....we pick up our new camper July 17 and are leaving July 19th for a month long road trip with the camper.  The camper will be on a 2020 F250....will we be OK without airbags for that trip?  Or is something that we definitely need?

#7 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 05:14 AM

I had Airlift on my '98 Dakota with Ranger II Shell and had nothing but trouble with them.  They would always tear and need to be replaced just before I left for Baja.  I finally just added stiffer springs.  I also had the upper bracket bend on them.  

Now on my '08 Dodge 2800 with Grandby I run Timbrens.  I installed them myself on all four corners.  Once installed they can be forgotten.  About half the cost of airbags and they won't tear due to articulation like airbags.  The only downside is that they are not adjustable.  They were recommended to me by the spring shop when I took the truck in to have Firestones installed.  He talked me out of the Firestones.  Also, when the camper is off the truck, they are not in contact with the axle so you get the stock ride.  

#8 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

Air Lifts on two different trucks, one with over 302k miles on it, and no issues ever. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#9 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:01 PM

Your Super Duty will handle the camper with no problem without the air bags. Maybe just a little sag from weight, does your Super Duty have the overload springs from Ford? I installed the air bags on my Super Duty to help with sway from side to side, also to level truck.

#10 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:37 PM

I've had Airlift on a couple of vehicles- in fact have them on 2 right now, an FJCruiser and a 4Runner- but they are the in coil type so a little different that the external bladder types.  No issues with them

Also have the Firestones on 3 vehicles- a 2020 F150, 1996 F350 and a 2018 Transit 350HD.    No issues with them either- the ones on the F350 have been on there 20+ years.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users