#1 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBayfield Colorado

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:08 AM

Wanting to carry a raft frame to a river trip. The frame for a small raft weighs 47lbs and figuring both the yakima racks weigh 20lbs total so that's 67lbs together. I seem to recall Marty said the roof can hold 1000 lbs of snow. However I know it is different for loads on the roof when driving especially when you factor driving on rough roads. What is a safe limit for carrying loads on the roof without harming the camper? We are not planning to pop up with these loads. Is there an ideal position for the yakima towers on the tracks in terms of roof support? Please pardon the overlap with our cargo box post, we're on the learning curve for what we can carry on the roof. 

Edited by robcc, 07 June 2021 - 02:24 PM.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:11 AM

Hey Robcc... I have a 45# solar panel, 40# canoe and ?# maxtracks on my roof.  We lift it with and without the canoe up there.  That's my experience.  Official advice from the manufacturer may differ!

#3 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 09 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

If it wasn't safe or could damage the roof to drive at highway speeds with way more than 67lbs on the roof, then they would never offer factory roof racks.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#4 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBayfield Colorado

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:33 PM

ATC said the limit for the roof is 120 lbs (without popping up). He said any weight up there (like our 47 lb raft frame plus racks), if traveling fast on washboard roads, will act like a hammer and could damage the roof. He said travel slow on washboard roads if we have a roof load. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users