20 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:03 PM

Where did you live at the time? How far was the trip to get there?

We lived in the tiny town of Alta Loma at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains. It all got swallowed up (much, much later) as Rancho Cucamonga. This area of Death Valley would have been several hours drive.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:48 PM

Long drive with 9 people! The 15 wasn't there yet, was it?

My brother lives in Alta Loma and I have a house in Rancho Cucamonga. I remember when Etiwanda, Cucamonga and Alta Loma were combined to form Rancho Cucamonga. The People who live North of Baseline still say they live in Alta Loma though. It always was a nicer area.It is actually the San Bernardino mountains there.

When did you leave there?

Edited by cwdtmmrs, 10 June 2021 - 05:52 PM.

CWDT

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

Great old shots Monte.Lots of terrific family memories.

Nice XK 120/140 Jag Roaster.

Thanks for the fun.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

Long drive with 9 people! The 15 wasn't there yet, was it?

My brother lives in Alta Loma and I have a house in Rancho Cucamonga. I remember when Etiwanda, Cucamonga and Alta Loma were combined to form Rancho Cucamonga. The People who live North of Baseline still say they live in Alta Loma though. It always was a nicer area.It is actually the San Bernardino mountains there.

When did you leave there?

No Interstate 15, Foothill Blvd was Highway 66. Baseline was the dividing line between Alta Loma and Cucamonga. My Dad moved the family from Wisconsin in 1953 and built our house on the end of Hermosa among citrus orchards and egg ranches. All of us kids when to Alta Loma Elementary,  K through 8th grade. The school was by the train depot, post office, and American Can Company. My parents moved back to Wisconsin in 1970. I left Alta Loma shortly after.

There was a small piece of San Bernardino National Forest above us - the east end of the San Gabriel Mountains. The San Andreas Fault runs up Cajon Pass and is the boundary between the San Bernardino Mtns to the east and the San Gabriels to the west.

I spent most my youth up Deer Canyon, Day Canyon, and Cucamonga Canyon.

Lots of memories down there back when it was rural. It's been a long time since we've been back.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:27 PM

Wow! Small world. I've been in the area since 68 and know those same spots. Nothing but groves and vineyards here then. The last egg ranch was about 20 years ago or so. All concrete and homes now. You are correct about the San Gabriel's boundary, (I should have known!), I though it was the county line above Claremont.

CWDT

#16 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:27 PM

Were the "pads" there in the 50's? 

We stumbled across them a couple of years ago and spent a very hot night there. 

It was 128F that day!

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#17 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:59 AM

No Interstate 15, Foothill Blvd was Highway 66. Baseline was the dividing line between Alta Loma and Cucamonga. My Dad moved the family from Wisconsin in 1953 and built our house on the end of Hermosa among citrus orchards and egg ranches. All of us kids when to Alta Loma Elementary,  K through 8th grade. The school was by the train depot, post office, and American Can Company. My parents moved back to Wisconsin in 1970. I left Alta Loma shortly after.

1970 eh? Do you know what else happened in 1970?

mungo jerry in the summertime

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#18 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:12 AM

Wow Has it been that long?   
I always loved that song but it was a radio song. Never had a visual component. So much good music. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#19 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:09 PM

Same. Never saw a visual to the song until yesterday. They seem to be having lots of fun.

Tony

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#20 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:18 PM

Ski- We can certainly see now where your sense of adventure comes from.  Those are great pictures and a great story.  Thanks for sharing.

Edited by dr.tucson, 11 June 2021 - 02:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users