Mykiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerrace British Columbia

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:35 PM

Hello guys,

I was told initially,  that my panther shell will be done sometime in January 2022, but it seems that the guys ramped up the production and I may be able to get it in the Fall, if travel to US is possible.

Would you consider installing a roof rack if you had to do it again? Biggest concern is the possibility of water leakage, and high cost vs usage. I would use it mostly for bulky light items as the clam tent, camping chairs, solar panel.

No Yakima available at ATC, for now, due to supply issues. Has anyone installed Rhino racks?

What kind of fixture do you have installed, to allow the cables from the camper  exit and connect the truck cable(via anderson connector), my plan is to use a 2awg cable(unfortunately ATC can't install larger cables so I will have to do it myself).

Do any of you have a portable electrical system contained in a heavy duty box(let's say LxWxH 2.5'x20"x2') that could be removed in the Winter? All the wires/cables entering the box could be disconnected( if connectors installed) at the entrance/exit to box. Box could be used as seat at the front of camper...I was thinking to get a Kisae MPTT/DC-DC and an Inverter/Ac-DC charger. I have a DIY Lifepo4 battery.

Do you have a modular kitchen system(rather than fixed cabinets) that can be moved outside when needed ?

Do any of you have switches to lights on the wall by the entrance rather than gang switches on the cabinets?

I ordered a Maxxi fan, but heard they need a voltage regulator as they don't tolerate higher voltage than 13V, anyone installed one?

Is that bed extension worth 375$? Isn't it just a piece of plywood sliding in and out? Are there some fancy rollers? Is it difficult to insert ?

Thank you for all your answers

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:03 AM

IMO, the tracks are worth it.  The Yakima and Thule are interchangeable to the best of my knowledge.  Check with a retailer and see if you can get them drop shipped to ATC.  The bed extension is also desirable.   It’s not just the wood, don’t forget there are cushions.   Good foam ain’t cheap, nor is the upholsterer.

I am haunted by waters

#3 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:08 AM

What Sage said...

I would get some tracks and have them shipped to ATC.   I did that with my SMEV sink stove combo and it worked out great.  Just communicate it with ATC.

I've mixed and matched all kinds of fasteners on the track, they are pretty much interchangeable, Thule, Yakima, Rhino Rack and Inno.

20210613_173204-L.jpg

I have a small Yakima Basket Case on the back usually with 2 chairs, a roll up table or two and large patio mat.  At camp I just get down what is needed and have no problem raising the roof with them in place if not needed.  A huge improvement over dragging them out of the gear pile on the floor which was their prior travel location.

Solar panel mounts easily and I can carry canoes or kayaks as well.

BTW - I didn't hold the phone straight for the panorama shot, nothing is actually bent.  :)

Bed Extension - I once left the extension foam pieces at home when I was alone but otherwise my wife won't let me leave them out.  It works fine to leave the wooden piece pushed in and not used.  Think of it this way, without the extension you are in a small backpacking tent.

Congratulations and good travels with your new camper.

Edited by jimjxsn, 14 June 2021 - 12:15 AM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:22 AM

Note the three crossbars on Jim’s camper.   Two in the back spaced closely for the Basket Case, and one up front for canoes, kayaks and the like.  It’s a nice combination.

Going back to your concern about a leak, there are no new holes for the tracks.  The tracks lie over the top of roof ribs, where there will be screws regardless.  I don’t recall any complaints about roof leaks in ATC campers.  Do be aware that any RV needs annual inspection, and possibly maintenance that might include occasional resealing of any opening.  Inside storage helps limit things.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Mykiss

Mykiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerrace British Columbia

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:31 PM

I didn't think there were so many screws on the roof, my previous camper didn't have any(hmm I think...)

Thank you for the replies, pics and for making me decide yes for roof rack, and bed extension.

George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users