14 replies to this topic

#11 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:12 AM

Curious why you use hammer drills?
What does it do for jacking that a regular drill won't do.

Regular drills work also

#12 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:30 PM

When stored, store as high as possible so there is less to raise and lower if that makes sense.. like the pic above, I use a platform on my trailer and make it so it can fit in the garage.  Take your time, it gets easier as you do it more.. 

I used a 2x4 as a wedge on one side in the rear between the tailgate and a 1 x 4 on the other to keep the rear tight between the tailgate opening and help me center while putting on.. 

Two people is nice, but its not that hard solo.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#13 BigRanchInSky

BigRanchInSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:57 PM

"you are putting lateral load on the jacks and mounting brackets. They can handle a little of that but not much."

Those are truly words of wisdom! I almost tipped the whole camper backward into thin air whilst doing a dolly-to-truckbed switchover on a slightly angled driveway. Never doing that again, scared the crap out of me and my buddy! The jacks are not meant for any shear-stress.

If you store your camper on a dolly in a space that has a slopping entry/exit, be sure to get the camper on most level as possible, otherwise jacking at on an angel (or in a way that creates any angle by having front or rear jacks at different heights) is inviting disaster.

#14 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 16 June 2021 - 05:28 PM

"you are putting lateral load on the jacks and mounting brackets. They can handle a little of that but not much."

Those are truly words of wisdom! I almost tipped the whole camper backward into thin air whilst doing a dolly-to-truckbed switchover on a slightly angled driveway. Never doing that again, scared the crap out of me and my buddy! The jacks are not meant for any shear-stress.

If you store your camper on a dolly in a space that has a slopping entry/exit, be sure to get the camper on most level as possible, otherwise jacking at on an angel (or in a way that creates any angle by having front or rear jacks at different heights) is inviting disaster.

Yes, solid advice.. however, some of us don't have options. Mine slopes a bit and there is no way around it.. slow and steady for sure, keeping as level as possible.. keep dolly under until truck is ready to be under.. 

Have done it many, many times with no mishaps. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#15 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 13 July 2022 - 12:46 PM

It's a huge time saver to have 2 people working in unison on each side to raise and lower the camper. If your buying your camper from a FWC dealer, it should come with 2 hand-crank jack tools and 1 jack tool that will fit in a cordless hammer drill. At least mine did, last March. Buy a 2nd drill tool ($30 on Amazon), have 2 hammer drills, and save your arm strength for funner pursuits (like fishing).

Curious why you use hammer drills?

What does it do for jacking that a regular drill won't do.

I asked about hammer drills because many manufacturers of various jacks state to not use hammer drills.  Reason is the impacts can over stress components and cause breakage.

Not sure if that applies to truck camper jacks but I'm not taking the chance... :unsure:

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users