• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:22 AM

We're just back from a four week trip to Montana and back which included some very dusty roads and playa driving. Naturally this created a ton of dust, some of which finds its way into the exterior portions of the Dometic 3-way fridge. Not the first time either so I'd love to get into the burner assembly and give it a thorough cleaning after 5+ years of use.

However when I start disassembling the lower portion of the flue where the burner resides it appears that I can't drop the cigar-shaped burner assembly down far enough to clear the tabs from the flue above. I blew it out with some compressed gas and got some ashy residue to fall out but would still like to access the rest of the burner to clean it up. It hits the floor of the cabinet before it clears the tabs.

Maybe I'm overlooking some magic in the disassembly process but it appears that the way it is put together precludes me from easily getting to the burner.  Any suggestions?  See attachments in order of disassembly.

Thanks to all you gurus out there!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4273.jpg
  • IMG_4275.jpg
  • IMG_4276.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#2 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:56 AM

What year is that fridge? Mine is a 2015 and looks different.

#3 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:00 AM

What year is that fridge? Mine is a 2015 and looks different.

It’s on a Hawk we purchased new in January 2016.

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#4 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:55 PM

it's the Dometic RM-2193

#5 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:39 PM

Yup. I've got a 2014 Hawk and it looks just like that.  You've got to just muscle it out.  I found that bending the flap on the burner bracket outward just a bit helps.  

Seems like a poor design.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#6 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:45 PM

Yup. I've got a 2014 Hawk and it looks just like that. You've got to just muscle it out. I found that bending the flap on the burner bracket outward just a bit helps.

Seems like a poor design.

Yeah I was trying to avoid too much muscling but it seems there’s little alternative. Thanks.

#7 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:41 PM

Mine is the RM-2354 and the burner looks completely different. Today I tried to blow compressed air through the flue and the burner. My frig operates very inconsistently. We just returned from a trip that included quite a bit of dust driving as well. I am going to leave mine running on propane for a few days in the driveway and hope after the cleaning I get some better operation.

#8 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:18 PM

Mine is the RM-2354 and the burner looks completely different. Today I tried to blow compressed air through the flue and the burner. My frig operates very inconsistently. We just returned from a trip that included quite a bit of dust driving as well. I am going to leave mine running on propane for a few days in the driveway and hope after the cleaning I get some better operation.

Yep the inconsistency of the 3-way Dometic is my biggest pet peeve with my Hawk. It sometimes takes all night to go from 55 to 35 degrees unless overnight temps are in the low 40s.

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:08 PM

I've attached the manual in a PDF if which shows the flue being removed, etc.  

Kevin

Attached Files

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:18 PM

I'd suggest removing it, take to landfill, install 2-way compressor refrig, install 160 watts of solar on roof, then enjoy and smile.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users