• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:00 PM

As some of you have read last week we sold our 2013 Tacoma and 2012 FWC Eagle shell as a package for 92% of what we paid for them  in 2012-13...in 4 days...at full asking price...No negotiation from a referral from Four Wheel. Did not list it....yes I left money on the table as the Tacoma is selling (June)  for 5 grand more than I sold it for...Still I'm very happy with the results as we can purchase a new Subaru for the sale price,

Reason: If you are looking for a FWC, delivery on the new ones are 12 months. The shell model I HAD equipped the way ours is,  now sells for $17,500  (35% increase in 9 years). 

Advice from an old guy.

If you are thinking about changing the type your camping in, sell now then wait 18 months to replace it. Reason: Because of pent up demand  to travel and not by airplane the RV market is nuts. In 18-24  months it will be a buyers market as the folks who bought the "fantasy"  will discover the payments, storage costs, maintenance is eating up all their disposable income and will sell in the fall before that Christmas season.

For now we will rent and save our money for the camper van we may purchase depending on what my body will let me do after hip replacement. next year.

So save your money and pay cash when the market turns. 

Update

I took the comments into consideration and edited the original post to just apply to Four Wheel campers. As that is where my experience lies.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 29 August 2021 - 03:44 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:46 PM

Must disagree

In 18 months i will be able to look back at all the great days and nights we enjoyed.

And we will still have the correct set up that we built and continue to enjoy.

That being said i am also someone who have changed rigs many times over the years.

But have never worried if money was made or lost.

None of us "need" our campers they are just a disposable toy.

Just my thoughts, yours may differ.

Les, lqhikers

#3 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:24 PM

What I picked up from Jim’s post was that if you’ve been considering selling for whatever reason, now is a seller’s market. We have an ‘05 Class A we bought used, currently with 90k miles on it. I, too, have joked with my wife that we should sell it for 2X what we paid 14 years ago, wait 18 months, and then buy a much newer model with very few miles on it when the original buyers wake up and finally realize what they got themselves into. Yup…a buyer’s market is coming for those who are patient. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#4 cgsmith

cgsmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:21 PM

As some of you have read last week we sold our 2013 Tacoma and 2012 FWC Eagle shell as a package for 92% of what we paid for them  in 2012-13...in 4 days...at full asking price...No negotiation from a referral from Four Wheel. Did not list it.

Reason: If you are looking for a FWC, delivery on the new ones are 12 months. The shell model I HAD equipped the way ours is,  now sells for $17,500 including tax (35% increase in 9 years) Who says we don't have inflation.

Advice from an old guy.

If you are thinking about changing the type your camping in, sell now then wait 18 months to replace it. Reason: Because of pent up demand the RV market is nuts. In 18 months it will be a buyers market as the folks who bought the fantasy will discover the payments, storage costs, maintenance are eating up all their disposable income and will sell in the fall before Christmas season.

When to buy and sell? Sell in the spring or summer when Demand is high (Tax refunds) . Buy in the fall or winter when demand is low.

So save your money and pay cash when the market turns. 

Jim, I don't think you fundamentally understand what inflation is.  This is a free market and manufacturers are free to decide what their price is and FWC (among others) have been valuing their product higher and higher each year and selling.  That would say they historically undervalued their product, as you've also seen by selling your FWC/Taco package for nearly retail after 7 years of use as well as the increased price and 12 month lead time.

The idea that in the future buyers will reap the benefits of a better used market is also a fallacy.  You're basing that on the speculation that people will change their minds about their purchase and flood the market with used campers/RVs.  You probably own like 12 bitcoin and have millions in the stock market knowing you can predict markets.  Whatever you're drinking, pour some of that kool-aid in my glass as well. There is absolutely no way of knowing what the future RV/camper market looks like.

What I think you miss are several things.  People have saved money in the last year and the people with extra income are also those with flexible employment, this might include boomers, Gen X, and millenials and have realized they want to travel and experience the world differently than in the past; hence the demand for RVs and campers. 

Want to know the best time to buy something?  When you can afford it is the answer.  So, as I feel for your sudden windfall of cash from the sale of the truck and camper, for everyone else, if you want a camper and have the money, keep looking, don't wait.  Just live your life and enjoy it.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:07 AM

I kind of think there will be a selloff of campers in the next year or two but I base that on nothing other than a gut feeling. I really don't care if I'm right or wrong. I"m neither selling or buying. Nice to know I could get some money out of my camper if needed to.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 18 June 2021 - 05:52 AM

I have to agree with RC Pilot it’s a great time to sell (obvious) and I do think in two or three years there could be some really good RV values. Maintaining an RV properly is often underestimated by new buyers. Having said that, there is no way I’d sell my Hawk, it’s just to much fun! Plus, sitting at home for the next couple years waiting for that great deal isn’t appealing.

Oh, and off the subject, Zero Declination in Reno did a great job on my Battle Born 100ah lithium battery upgrade!

Brian

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#7 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:41 PM

I agree that now is a seller's market for recreational vehicles in general and for Four Wheel Campers specifically. If you're looking to sell, now is a great time to profit with the high demand on top of production delays running 12 to 18 months.

I also agree that a buyer's market is in the future. It will take 12 to 18 months to take delivery. The first year of ownership everyone will give the camping thing a try, this first year will help weed out a percentage of newbies who quickly find that they don't like the setup they bought, that they don't have the time to go camping, that they can't afford the payments, or that they don't actually like camping at all. The second year of ownership, the camper will sit and sit, those who did not have fun the first year will not use it at all. The third year after delivery is when the camper will go up sale.

Personally, I enjoy camping and love my Tundra and remodeled Fleet combo. Neither is new or pretty, but both are functional and paid for. I could make a tidy profit selling, but would never be able to replace what I've got for a reasonable price.

Edited by Sleddog, 18 June 2021 - 12:42 PM.

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 June 2021 - 05:21 PM

Huh, to add a slightly different flavor to this discussion, I agree that it is a great time to sell.  Not sure if it WILL be a great time to buy in 2-3 years, but I sure HOPE it will be, because then maybe the crowds will dissipate too.  Just hope, no prophetic powers here... 

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:00 PM

Huh, to add a slightly different flavor to this discussion, I agree that it is a great time to sell.  Not sure if it WILL be a great time to buy in 2-3 years, but I sure HOPE it will be, because then maybe the crowds will dissipate too.  Just hope, no prophetic powers here... 

+1 for the crowds dissipating.  I sold my Tundra and Hawk in January for $34K may have gotten more now. But I am happy and got my Class B van about 20% off MSRP, that would not happen now. 

#10 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 28 August 2021 - 09:59 PM

Thanks Richard,

That is what I meant to say.

Les I agree with you too. I have enjoyed just about every camping/traveling day I have been lucky to have in it the past 9 years.  Unfortunately I got old and couldn't physically do it anymore. Good timing on getting a very good price for it.

CG I agree mostly with you too. However I have observed two people. A friend who bought a 4 Wheel 2006 Kestral ( now called a Hawk) for $7,500 in 2013. Put $2,000 in it used it 3 years and sold it for $9,500 in 2016 in 45 minutes  re-cooping 100% of his investment. I re-read my original post and FORGOT to say that I meant "4 Wheel Camper" products.  I have owned different types of RV's and campers over the years. So far the old Coleman tent trailers and 4 Wheel are the only products that were/are so much in demand. The used tent trailer we bought in 1979 for $800 we sold 4 years later for $1,000. then we bought a used Southwind motorhome...but that story is for another time....As that was an expensive ownership experience.

Thanks everyone for contributing.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 29 August 2021 - 04:01 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users