• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:07 PM

My brother will be visiting from Switzerland and he wants to go into the Sierras for a camping trip. He wants a "good 4wd necessary dirt road going to some sort of water source, lake, stream etc". I have a good 4wd dirt road worthy truck so we have that part covered. Some suggestions and locations would be helpful. I am a careful driver and am dedicated to leaving zero trace of our campsites. Either the Eastern or Western Sierras are OK. Thanks for your ideas. 

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 June 2021 - 12:47 AM

My aunt and uncle from Brussels, Belgium, visited us in N Utah. As they were planning their trip they said they had found a good flight into Dallas-Fort Worth and could we drive down and pick them up? After I visited them in Brussels many years later it was clear why many European people cannot conceive of the vast distances in the Western USA. Is your brother willing to do a two day trek to Ruby Lake Nevada to scratch his itch? I think it would be worth both of your's time.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. We have about 5 days total before he moves on to New Mexico. I am quite familiar with Utah and Arizona and a bit of Nevada, not so much with car camping in the Sierras. I have back packed a bunch of the Sierras, but have paid little attention to dirt roads. This is why I am seeking suggestions. A two day drive or a  really long day would be too much travel time vs camping time. However, I have made a note of Ruby Lake and will be visiting it with my wife in the future. Thanks for the suggestion. Need more!

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

Southern Sierras, try Monache Meadows. You can camp there but it’s “warm” during the summer and the water level could be low due to the drought. Near Mammoth you could try Laurel Lake as a day trip and then camp down below along the canyon road…or even in the Mammoth Lakes group. The road up to Patriarch Grove, UV Bancroft Lab, and finishing at the top of White Mtn. is possible, with camping lower at Grandview Campground. Best that you check on reservation requirements. Have fun!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users