2 replies to this topic

#1 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:22 PM

Had a new Coleman tank that would not attach to the camp stove last week.   Tried a few times, but propane was spewing out as I tried to screw it on (note to self, that stuff is COLD).  Took a closer look and noticed that the little plastic "washer" inside the fitting was now over on the stove connector.  Huh, that's not right.  Looked at a used tank, and that plastic bit is usually firmly seated.  Also, spotted a small rubber o-ring.  Could not see where that came from.  

I have done some googling, and have not found a description/pictures yet of how these little tanks are supposed to be equipped to create a good seal once attached to your stove.  Specifically, where does the little o-ring go?  What holds the plastic washer in place?  

Vic

#2 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 June 2021 - 10:01 PM

The little O-ring goes down in the hole the gas comes out of- with the plastic ring above that (toward the outside world) to guide the male pickup on whatever you are attaching to the disposable and also to hold the O-ring in.  The ID of the O-ring should be a snug fit on the male pickup on the device getting the gas.  The plastic ring should be a snug interference fit to the disposable.

How do I know all this?  Well...played around refiling the disposable tanks and saw many issues- they don't exactly use quality materials on throw away tanks.

I eventually moved to the Flame King system with 1 lb refillables by an adapter on 20lb tanks or even bigger.  

The disposables that cost several dollars only have about 50 cents worth of gas in them...

Edited by SkyP, 19 June 2021 - 10:06 PM.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:49 AM

Awesome, I figured someone on this forum would know the ins/outs of these things.  Going to try that tank again tomorrow and see if it works, just because I can!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users