C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:56 PM

I have no problem with my I Mac.

Great looking kayaks.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 08 March 2023 - 04:08 PM

I have a question for any Oru owner.

I need a lighter weight boat. I have a Sea Eagle with a removable skeg which is stable on the water but very heavy (but I do have a real nice cart!) I have also had an Advanced Elements which had a nice, hard keel. But after paddling the Sea Eagle in a cross wind when I could not get the skeg to slide in place I feel the need for something other than a round or flat bottom boat. 

What does the bottom of an Oru look like? How does it track?  

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 March 2023 - 09:25 PM

I have a question for any Oru owner.

I need a lighter weight boat. I have a Sea Eagle with a removable skeg which is stable on the water but very heavy (but I do have a real nice cart!) I have also had an Advanced Elements which had a nice, hard keel. But after paddling the Sea Eagle in a cross wind when I could not get the skeg to slide in place I feel the need for something other than a round or flat bottom boat. 

What does the bottom of an Oru look like? How does it track?  

Curious about this as well.   AND, wondering which cart you have, and if you think it would do well on deeply rooted/rutted PNW portage trails.... 

#14 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 08 March 2023 - 11:30 PM

Curious about this as well.   AND, wondering which cart you have, and if you think it would do well on deeply rooted/rutted PNW portage trails.... 

Wilderness Systems "Chariot De Kayak". No joke - it said that on the box. AKA Heavy Duty kayak Cart. No-flat or ballon wheels - I have no-flat and have done just fine in sand. I've had it on rocky and overgrown trails even with two boats on it (and two people guiding/steering) It can take the salt water. It is not inexpensive. 

Getting my boat to the water is not a problem. What is a problem is lifting the rolled up boat into the camper or moving the 50 pound bundle at all for that matter. 

#15 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 09 March 2023 - 12:16 AM

My wife and I are sold on our Oru Kayaks! We are on the fourth year with our Inlets and they are still going strong. They both fit in the back seat of the truck and only weigh 20lbs each. We take them on every trip just incase we find a willing body of water (more often than not, we do) tracking is not great, but acceptable for such short yaks. Only go in the ocean when it is super calm. Mostly we find little creeks near the back of lakes. We also hit the rivers hard with them up in Humboldt. They have backpacks, so we hike them in to places where you could never drag a cart. In the right conditions, they are awesome! Heck, this winter we used them to kayak down the flooded streets as transportation!

#16 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:22 PM

My wife and I are sold on our Oru Kayaks! We are on the fourth year with our Inlets and they are still going strong. They both fit in the back seat of the truck and only weigh 20lbs each. We take them on every trip just incase we find a willing body of water (more often than not, we do) tracking is not great, but acceptable for such short yaks. Only go in the ocean when it is super calm. Mostly we find little creeks near the back of lakes. We also hit the rivers hard with them up in Humboldt. They have backpacks, so we hike them in to places where you could never drag a cart. In the right conditions, they are awesome! Heck, this winter we used them to kayak down the flooded streets as transportation!

Thank you Cpt! 20 pounds sure sounds nice. 

#17 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 10 March 2023 - 11:59 PM

We have an ORU, Haven TT, have paddled it as a double and single. Paddles fine, tracks well and is pretty stable.

Love how it fits in the back seat area. We use our hardshells as often as possible, but for when we don't want to bring a trailer, the ORU is awesome.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 08:07 PM

Wilderness Systems "Chariot De Kayak". No joke - it said that on the box. AKA Heavy Duty kayak Cart. No-flat or ballon wheels - I have no-flat and have done just fine in sand. I've had it on rocky and overgrown trails even with two boats on it (and two people guiding/steering) It can take the salt water. It is not inexpensive. 

Getting my boat to the water is not a problem. What is a problem is lifting the rolled up boat into the camper or moving the 50 pound bundle at all for that matter. 

Thanks for the tip about a cart.  I've been looking at the Seattle Sports cart.  Any chance you have tried that one or can compare?

Seattle Sports All-Terrain Center Cart, Black : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 March 2023 - 10:29 PM

Vic, I have an almost identical cart from cabelas, but roughly $300 less.  I’m pretty sure I paid just over $100 about 10 years ago.  They work fine.

Here is one on sale for a lot less.

I am haunted by waters

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 12:17 AM

That Cabella’s one looks like a near clone. As for $300, keep in mind my link was to amazon CANADA… our money isn’t anywhere near as powerful as yours…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users