12 replies to this topic

#1 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 June 2021 - 03:49 PM

May just stay home with our 3 window ACs working 24/7. Stay safe, stay hydrated. Stay cool if possible.

https://www.wweek.co...n-it-was-today/

From Wonkette: 

"According to meteorologist Ben Noll, Portland is hotter today than about 99.8 percent of the Earth. The only places worse off are Africa's Sahara Desert, the Persian Gulf, and California's deserts. Normal highs this time of year in Portland are in the mid-70s or what Southerners like myself call “sweater weather." The record-breaking temperatures have climate scientists concerned and sweaty."

Edited by AWG_Pics, 27 June 2021 - 03:52 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 June 2021 - 06:22 PM

"scientists concerned and sweaty"

That's a great quote. It looks like the big dome of high pressure moved a bit further north than first forecast. Our predicted highs in the low nineties have been bumped down to the high eighties.

Wow, it is fearful about the coming high temps we all may reach this summer, this summer that is just beginning.................along with the extreme drought.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 June 2021 - 06:57 PM

May just stay home with our 3 window ACs working 24/7. Stay safe, stay hydrated. Stay cool if possible.

https://www.wweek.co...n-it-was-today/

From Wonkette: 

"According to meteorologist Ben Noll, Portland is hotter today than about 99.8 percent of the Earth. The only places worse off are Africa's Sahara Desert, the Persian Gulf, and California's deserts. Normal highs this time of year in Portland are in the mid-70s or what Southerners like myself call “sweater weather." The record-breaking temperatures have climate scientists concerned and sweaty."

Eeeeeeeek!

I am haunted by waters

#4 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 07:20 PM

An where leaving for a 2 month trip to the N W.asap.. bring on cooler temp,please

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:32 PM

Bend's forecast high temperatures are record-breaking (if they occur)...but Portland's forecast high temperatures are nothing less than freakish!  :o  :wacko:  :blink: 

Screenshot_20210627-Bend_Forecasts.jpg Screenshot_20210627_Portland-Forecasts.jpg

[from AccuWeather app]

(I've experienced 118°F in Redding, CA a couple of times, growing up there...but that's only about 15-20° above summer-normal for Redding -- not 40° above normal! )

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 June 2021 - 11:47 PM

So if Portland reaches the predicted 118 on Monday, it will surpass the previous record high by 17 degrees! I fear people will start dying with that kind of record shattering heat.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2021 - 12:13 AM

So if Portland reaches the predicted 118 on Monday, it will surpass the previous record high by 17 degrees! I fear people will start dying with that kind of record shattering heat.

Yep.  :(  Triple-digit temperatures are rare in Portland (and Bend) -- even in mid-summer. So a lot of older homes weren't built with air conditioning (mine doesn't). And then there're the homeless and people whose "home" is an RV -- parked on city streets without AC hookups to run a/c.

Bend has set up, designated, "cooling centers" now, and I assume Portland has, too.  It's like the "warming centers" set up on extra-cold nights in winter.

But:  It's easier to stay warm when it's cold than to stay cool when it's hot.  You can put on as many layers of insulation as needed, but you can only get so naked.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 June 2021 - 02:06 AM

Well, made it through the first searing day. We are not set up for this heat in Portland. Lucky we have 3 window AC units. I feel very badly for those with no AC at all. They are living in their basements if they have them. Tomorrow will also be bad, but heck, it will cool off to 80 tonight, so no problem, eh?

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#9 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2021 - 05:39 AM

It was 101 in Astoria, Or. today and 99 in Burns.  This is crazy.

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 02:17 PM

Weather Weirdness....

We had to spend the weekend in Seattle helping sister unpack.

Driving south Saturday along the coastal route we noted a sudden drop in temps  from 95 to 77 (!) near Raymond/West Bend.

Only explanation I have is an onshore breeze from  Willapa Bay (and the Pacific).....

Then it returned to mid nineties just south of town.

There are some cool folks living in that area.

Oddly, Astoria, on the Columbia, did not show the same temp differential.

DG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users