2 inch lift on truck

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 08:39 PM

So I want to put better shocks on my tundra. An they are 0-2" lifts anyone running a lift system on their truck with a fwc on back?? Any problems?

#2 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 June 2021 - 02:46 AM

I have ARB Old man emu suspension upgrade on my 05 Toyota Tacoma. Approximately 2” lift front and back with slightly heavier spring rate on the back. I feel that it works good with no problems. I’m running a fully load ATC Bobcat camper, I also use airbags on the rear when the camper is on the truck, when campers is off I run the air bags with only 5psi air pressure. That is manufactures recommended minimum air pressure.

#3 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:41 AM

My truck is scheduled to have a FWC Grandby installed in a few weeks followed by an AEV 3" lift a few weeks later. It's the only suspension I am aware of that has been designed and tested per SAE standards. It also retains the stock load carrying and towing rates for the specific vehicle.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:39 PM

So I want to put better shocks on my tundra. An they are 0-2" lifts anyone running a lift system on their truck with a fwc on back?? Any problems?

First gen Tundra owner here, celebrating 10 years of FWC wandering!  :)

I've got height adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks and I think the mechanic set them at 1.5".   Initially, the shocks were set a max height and the shock would "top out" if I dropped off a ledge with the front tires.   Now that they have been put back a notch  the ride is much smoother, even on the freeway.

I'm running LT265/65R18 (after market wheels) BFG tires and do not have any rubbing issues.   We've been using Firestone airbags in the rear, and I have had one of them rupture with our somewhat heavily loaded Hawk.  We do drive on rough roads and trails.  YMMV

Edited by Lighthawk, 29 June 2021 - 08:41 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 01:29 AM

Yep. Just did mojave trail road death valley lots in big bend an tons in Utah

#6 GabeGoes

GabeGoes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:37 PM

I have a 1993 Chevy 2500 light duty (6 lug with a 14 bolt rear end). It has airbags and handles the Hawk shell wonderfully but the shocks are 10+ years old and need replaced. 

Any recommendations for new shocks? I would also be interested in a 2" lift but can't seem to find many options out there? 

It is my understanding that the height adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks are for trucks with a lift and not a lift in themselves is that correct? 

Thanks!

#7 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:36 AM

I have a 1993 Chevy 2500 light duty (6 lug with a 14 bolt rear end). It has airbags and handles the Hawk shell wonderfully but the shocks are 10+ years old and need replaced. 

Any recommendations for new shocks? I would also be interested in a 2" lift but can't seem to find many options out there? 

It is my understanding that the height adjustable Bilstein 5100 shocks are for trucks with a lift and not a lift in themselves is that correct? 

Thanks!

Yes and no, the 5100 series have multiple slots to allow the spring retainer to be moved to add more preload to the soring effectively raising the front of the truck...similar to a "leveler kit" that raises the front to match the rear. They do not raise the rear.

#8 dlmlynch

dlmlynch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 07:32 PM

I've got a '17 Tundra with Icon stage 9 suspension kit.  Its an adjustable remote resevoir 2.5" coilover kit with heavier springs and control arms. Currently running 285/70/18 tires but will be going to 35/12.5/18 next.  It has roughly a 2" lift now.  It has a loaded up Hawk camper in the bed.  I have made a couple long haul trips on this set up.  The last one to Baja from Kentucky.  It has performed excellent.  It does have a factory rear TRD sway bar that I recommend with the camper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users