9 replies to this topic

#1 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 29 June 2021 - 02:55 PM

delete

Edited by ramblinChet, 06 February 2024 - 09:58 AM.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#2 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:49 PM

I am interested in hearing suggestions and maybe even seeing some pictures of how to best protect a 6 gauge 30 Adc power and ground that will be running from the engine compartment, under the truck and coming up into the bed. If you have material suggestions and/or pictures I would love to hear all about them. Thanks in advance!

The wire I am running is Ancor 6 gauge tinned battery cable.

Chet - I ran 4 AWG from the start battery back to the camper and covered it with expandable PET sheathing. It comes in different sizes, so that you'd buy something appropriate for 6 AWG. It will protect the wire from the elements and sharp edges as well as oil:

https://www.amazon.c...t?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another link:

https://www.ses-ster...aided-sleeving/

I think the picture I posted, regarding the fuse box placement of my Blue Seas circuit breaker, shows this (red-black) sheathing running to/from the circuit breaker under the hood. It is sold in different colors.

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 29 June 2021 - 05:04 PM.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:06 AM

Hi Chet

I routed my battery hot lead back to camper in the blue plastic corrugated conduit used to route household wire in metal stud residential construction...light blue color, 3/4" ID and available at any H-D or Lowes. Secured the conduit every 24" and routed it within the frame rails of truck when possible....finally up to the factory drain hole in bed where I used an insulated hold fast to secure the conduit.

No chafe in 5 years.

David Graves

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:37 AM

I used 2g welding cable, designed for serious abuse.  No issues in the two different trucks the same wire has been in.

#5 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 June 2021 - 06:37 AM

1). 80 amp fuse right at the battery connection for the positive wire

2) I used Youngs brand 3/8” split loom conduit around each wire (it fits Ancor 6awg nicely) and zip tied it along the main truck wire bundle routed on top of the frame. It looks stock on my new truck.

Edited by Jon R, 30 June 2021 - 07:07 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:49 PM

Hi Jon

You took the stealth approach while mine is bright obnoxious Blue like all the young people and their "paint the brake calipers" syndrome.

Mine is cooler and may soon be featured on Overland Journal and sold to the masses for their daily drivers....along with snorkels.

David Graves

PS We helped sister in law unpack in W Seattle last weekend....you have lots of neighbors in that city of yours......

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 06:56 PM

Yes. I grew up in Seattle on Capitol Hill and it was a great place to live in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. it is crazy how they just keep cramming more and more housing and office buildings in. I avoid going to the city if at all possible. West Seattle is doubly congested right now because of the bridge closure.

Jon R

#8 Gentle on my world

Gentle on my world

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTeddy's Place

Posted 30 June 2021 - 07:00 PM

At least that's that much less sprawl encroaching on our "wild" places.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 July 2021 - 03:20 AM

I used Ancor's paired cables, "Marine Romex" as it were, no issues with it either.

I haven't seen it happen to the point of badly degrading the wires or cable(s), but I have seen split loom build up silt etc inside of it to the point that the whole loom was rigid. This is my concern with any loom that isn't porous, that it will build up water or mud, etc. and eventually degrade the wires within.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:46 PM

Good choice.  I used the same Ancor type III marine 6awg wire, and 5/8 is the size you need if you are routing two wires in the same conduit.  1/2" is too small. 

Jon R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users