hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:53 PM

Hi all, 

I'm looking for a chest style 12v compressor fridge, probably about 45 liters. I'll have three uses for it: For weekend trips in my FWC; for desert trips in my 5th wheel to keep drinks cold; and when not otherwise in use, as a beer fridge  in my garage. I will likely have it setup with a deep cycle 12v battery and 50w or 100W solar panel in all uses. I'm in Norther Cal, where the solar will likely get 6 hours of direct sun in the summer. The outside temps here are commonly 90s to low 100s in the summer. 

I can't afford the $1200 high end Dometic/Arb brands. 

I'm looking at some of the budget brands: BougeRv, Iceco, Truckfridge, etc. This one on Amazon caught my eye:  https://www.amazon.c...nomad0f-20&th=1

In the FWC, the fridge will hopefully sit on the back seat or floor of the truck and be accessed by a passthrough window into the camper. Have others used their chest fridge this way and does it seem to work well?

Is it worth the extra $100 for the insulated covers?

Any other problems or concerns? Anyone have good or bad luck with these budget brands?

Thanks!

Edited by hpcbmw, 29 June 2021 - 06:54 PM.

1997 4 wheel Camper Granby model on 2000 F250 extended cab 4x4 diesel.

#2 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:31 PM

Happy with my Whytner

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 June 2021 - 10:43 PM

Hi all, 

I'm looking for a chest style 12v compressor fridge, probably about 45 liters. I'll have three uses for it: For weekend trips in my FWC; for desert trips in my 5th wheel to keep drinks cold; and when not otherwise in use, as a beer fridge  in my garage. I will likely have it setup with a deep cycle 12v battery and 50w or 100W solar panel in all uses. I'm in Norther Cal, where the solar will likely get 6 hours of direct sun in the summer. The outside temps here are commonly 90s to low 100s in the summer. 

I can't afford the $1200 high end Dometic/Arb brands. 

I'm looking at some of the budget brands: BougeRv, Iceco, Truckfridge, etc. This one on Amazon caught my eye:  https://www.amazon.c...nomad0f-20&th=1

In the FWC, the fridge will hopefully sit on the back seat or floor of the truck and be accessed by a passthrough window into the camper. Have others used their chest fridge this way and does it seem to work well?

Is it worth the extra $100 for the insulated covers?

Any other problems or concerns? Anyone have good or bad luck with these budget brands?

Thanks!

I use,for the past 7 years a 41L chest style Truckfridge.

It has proven to work great under our conditions.

I have a 105w solar system. On our last Alaskan trip

we spent 5 nights on the ferry and with the power set to the middle

setting it ran up till a few hours before we docked in Whitter.

My battery still read about +11v.

That's a long time keeping things cool. Set at 35*.

I think this brand uses the same compressor as the higher $ ones.

Several members have this brand and everyone has commented

how well they work.

Don't know about an insulated cover.Not something I need.

Good luck with your search

Mine is the middle size @ $549,the next larger 50L is $599.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 30 June 2021 - 01:48 PM

We have a Truckfridge that I built into our ATC.  Seems to work fine and not a lot of power draw.  The compressor is, however, noisy at times (especially at night trying to sleep).  I added an extra layer of 1" foamboard around the sides and top.

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 30 June 2021 - 04:46 PM

I've been running a Truckfridge TF51 for 4 years. It's very quiet and I just insulate it with Reflectix , but it's probably fine without it. No issues with it and no regrets!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#6 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 01 July 2021 - 03:03 PM

I bought the TB51 from TruckFridge in 2017 and have been completely sold on it.  It is an INDEL B fridge.  If you try and insulate it be sure to leave the compressor vents clear.  I got the fridge cover from Equipt, it is not insulated and probably isn't necessary.  I have since removed the factory handles and replaced them with kayak webbing handles reducing the overall width of the fridge.

20200920_095253-XL.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#7 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 01 July 2021 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I'll take a close look at the truckfridge models. 

#8 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:54 PM

You can get the Dometic or ARB fridges on sale for around $850-$900 or so. The less expensive fridges us a little more power and are a little bit louder.  100w of solar will keep any of them going for a long time where you live. It is the best upgrade I did on my camper (was using a large cooler).

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:15 PM

We bought a Blizzard Box from Costco for about $500 when it was on sale. It’s currently $699.

We’ve been very happy with its performance on our various trips including a 10 week trip to Alaska last summer when we used it as a second freezer for the whole time.

https://www.costco.c....100505019.html

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 hpcbmw

hpcbmw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cal

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

Thanks! Just ordered the Costco Blizzard Box- can't pass up Costco's excellent customer service and return policy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users