26 replies to this topic

#1 MidwestWander88

MidwestWander88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:09 PM

Hello folks. 

I'm hoping for some input from the community here. I'm considering purchasing a pop up truck camper to accommodate a handful of 7-10 day trips in the midwest and an annual 3-4 week trip out west yearly with my wife and son.

I have been in research mode for the past few months, first evaluating different camper alternatives and within the last few months narrowed a bit to the truck pop ups.

When comparing ATC verses the "other guys"I noticed that the ability to get a little more creative with design requests is something that seems to attract many buyers. 

My primary question is this. What are the customizations and/or options that you have or have seen that really gave your build more functionality? 

Has anyone spec'ed out specific:

• Electrical components (DC/DC charger, batteries, solar, charge controller ect).
  • Cooking (space for top loading/slid in fridge, removable camp stove ect)
  • Heating (Propex instead of ATC furnace)
  • Cabinets/storage
  • Anything else? 

I don't have much experience with truck camping so it's difficult to envision which potential options/customizations would be beneficial. Broad goals for the camper would be being able to eat/cook fresh food and get a solid nights sleep while mobile and get off the beaten path a bit. 

Thanks for the input!

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:56 PM

This should be a fun thread!  I think you will find that everyone has different ideas about what is important, and that most are quite happy with the standard builds.  Those who aren't happy with "normal" build their own.  That said, factors to consider:

- Is this your first camping rig?

- How old are you, wife, son?

- Will you be camping in established campgrounds with AC/water hookups or off the grid?

- If off grid, for how long between driving/sunny days?

- What appliances do you plan to power?  Some folks run super minimal, others run induction cooktops...

.... etc!

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:24 PM

Welcome to Wander the West. Just a quick response to your questions. We use a top opening IndelB refrigerator. It sits across the front floor of the camper under the front window. Why? Up front so weight in the camper is always to the front. Second, so we can open and refill during a trip without popping up the top. Third, I always think about  that every little add on/addition adds weight so no extra weight for an unneeded slide out. This also leaves cupboard space for storage.

We have drawers and open cabinets. Cupboard doors add unnecessary weight and get in the way.

Good luck with your decisions.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 MidwestWander88

MidwestWander88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:34 PM

Hey Vic, thanks for the feedback! I have included my responses below. 

- Is this your first camping rig? Pretty much. Wife and I did a fair share of car camping out west prior to the kid arriving. Borrowed a pop up a handful of times from a relative when I was younger. 

- How old are you, wife, son? Young (by the WTW standards I would guess  :)). My wife and I are in our 30's, child is 2 years old possible the family grows in the future. 

- Will you be camping in established campgrounds with AC/water hookups or off the grid? I'd ideally like to be more off grid. If I had to guess, I'd say something like 80/20 off grid vs campgrounds. 

- If off grid, for how long between driving/sunny days? I'd say we are fairly mobile most days. We tend to hike/sightsee for a few hours a day which typically necessitates some sort of driving. I can only think of one time we stayed put for 2 days without driving was when we were in Mt. Rainier NP and had a really great campsite with trails attached to the campground. 

- What appliances do you plan to power?  Some folks run super minimal, others run induction cooktops... I'm partial to cooking outside, so since I'm already committed to hauling propane that eliminates the need for electrical for cooking. Other than that, some sort of furnace, I'm thinking a Fan but part of me just says to keep it simple and use the normal vent. I think we could get buy charging phones and such in the truck while driving. Fresh food is a high priority and I'd like to be able to go 3-4 days between grocery trips for 3-4 active people so I'm thinking I need a 80L or larger refrigerator?

- Water system- Go back and forth here. Really want to be able to cook/was dishes, but we do a lot of camping in shoulder seasons and worrying about freezing/winterizing just doesn't sound fun. Anyone have a simple hand pump/jerry can system with a built in sink? 

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:45 PM

First off welcome to the cult.

When you say "fan" do you mean "Fantastic fan"?

If not they are a great feature not just to exit air but I use

the fan while lowering the top.It helps pull the sides in and with

roof lifters it makes it easier to lower.

It sounds like you have most things sorted out.We have a 2009 ATC Bobcat

full camper. We enjoy having the built in heater great for cool mornings.

Warms the camper up quickly.We don't use it through the night.

Having a tank of water is nice,but you can carry bottles of water and save the space

for storage. Which is a premium. Think packing for a trip like going on a back pack one.

You don't need to stock up on everything,there are stores out there.

We have taken many 4+ week long trips and carry most what we need.

We take items that we can't find while out and about.Then get other items as needed.

If you are planning on some amount of solar that will charge the house battery so

you can run lights,recharge phones/laptop things like that? Comes in very handy.

You haven't mentioned your truck. If you have a double cab style some of the rear seat

can be used for storage.

I find being organized is one of the most helpful things to be.

These campers are great but storage is something to consider.

Your on the right path.Ask questions and answers will come.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:02 AM

Here's 2 pics of my Panther shell. I have the 2 burner stove that you can do with or without, top load frig, propex furnace, extra usb outlets, and wired for my portable solar charger. I have a side dinette and full width bench seat across the front that has storage and battery underneath. Everyone has different ideas on configuration. The shell model is ideal if you like building your own cabinets and shelving. 

Attached Thumbnails

• atc stove - 1.jpg
  • atc seats - 1.jpg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#7 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

I found that it is hard to ask for customizations unless you already built one of these things out. I mean it is hard to know ahead of time, but after a season or two of camping you will know exactly what you want. I did my own build from a shell, and this season I changed a few things (larger water tank up front, solar, Lifepo4 battery, and some other minor things). So, I got most of it right, but had to make changes down the road. So I guess I am saying stay flexible.  I am one of those that doesn't like the factory builds. I think they eat up too much floor space, but that's just me. I found building one of these out is pretty hard work. It was a bitch actually.

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:30 AM

Hey Vic, thanks for the feedback! I have included my responses below. 

Ugh, sorry about the green font... in hindsight I see it is super hard to read.... 

- Is this your first camping rig? Pretty much. Wife and I did a fair share of car camping out west prior to the kid arriving. Borrowed a pop up a handful of times from a relative when I was younger. 

- Great!

- How old are you, wife, son? Young (by the WTW standards I would guess  :)). My wife and I are in our 30's, child is 2 years old possible the family grows in the future. 

- growing family changes everything periodically!

- Will you be camping in established campgrounds with AC/water hookups or off the grid? I'd ideally like to be more off grid. If I had to guess, I'd say something like 80/20 off grid vs campgrounds. 

- so less likely to need AC/DC charging, more solar and DCDC

- If off grid, for how long between driving/sunny days? I'd say we are fairly mobile most days. We tend to hike/sightsee for a few hours a day which typically necessitates some sort of driving. I can only think of one time we stayed put for 2 days without driving was when we were in Mt. Rainier NP and had a really great campsite with trails attached to the campground. 

- Loved Rainier when we were there.  It was even sunny, but the trees shaded most of the campsites.  DCDC charging came in really handy!  And if you drive to a trailhead, the solar on the roof can take over the charging while you are out hiking.  You can likely bet on getting a full recharge daily that way... some DCDC, some solar.

- What appliances do you plan to power?  Some folks run super minimal, others run induction cooktops... I'm partial to cooking outside, so since I'm already committed to hauling propane that eliminates the need for electrical for cooking.

OK, that's good.  I build my kitchen in the PUMA so I could put my Camp Chef Everest on the counter, or use it outside (which is what we normally do)

Other than that, some sort of furnace,

I've installed two Propex furnaces in my builds.  Still noisier than a catalytic heater, but pretty darn efficient and way less condensation.  The Dometic/Attwood furnaces used to be good and simple, but lately they are having some issues.  

I'm thinking a Fan but part of me just says to keep it simple and use the normal vent.  

- Get a fan.  Maxxair is more $$$ but people seem to like them.  Fantastic Fan really benefits from modification to allow more speed adjustments

I think we could get buy charging phones and such in the truck while driving.

Yup

Fresh food is a high priority and I'd like to be able to go 3-4 days between grocery trips for 3-4 active people so I'm thinking I need a 80L or larger refrigerator? 

We eat a lot of fresh ourselves, and the 130L TruckFridge (normal front opening style) is wonderful.  It is tall enough that getting it to fit is tricky.

- Water system- Go back and forth here. Really want to be able to cook/was dishes, but we do a lot of camping in shoulder seasons and worrying about freezing/winterizing just doesn't sound fun. Anyone have a simple hand pump/jerry can system with a built in sink? 

Lots of people here use water jugs, either with electric or manual pumps, or just gravity feed.  Sink can be as simple as a plastic dishpan that drops into a hole in the countertop.  That said, we have a 30 gal tank with dual water filters, a sink and I pressurized the drain line, so the normal "drain" for the water tank becomes an outside water source, which is great for outdoor cooking.

#9 MidwestWander88

MidwestWander88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:14 AM

Here's 2 pics of my Panther shell. I have the 2 burner stove that you can do with or without, top load frig, propex furnace, extra usb outlets, and wired for my portable solar charger. I have a side dinette and full width bench seat across the front that has storage and battery underneath. Everyone has different ideas on configuration. The shell model is ideal if you like building your own cabinets and shelving. 

Hey Ronin, like the build! Did you install the propex or was that done by ATC? Curious what you think of that unit compared to whatever ATC puts in.

Also, was the side dinette and front bench an ATC fabrication? 

#10 MidwestWander88

MidwestWander88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:17 AM

First off welcome to the cult.

When you say "fan" do you mean "Fantastic fan"?

If not they are a great feature not just to exit air but I use

the fan while lowering the top.It helps pull the sides in and with

roof lifters it makes it easier to lower.

It sounds like you have most things sorted out.We have a 2009 ATC Bobcat

full camper. We enjoy having the built in heater great for cool mornings.

Warms the camper up quickly.We don't use it through the night.

Having a tank of water is nice,but you can carry bottles of water and save the space

for storage. Which is a premium. Think packing for a trip like going on a back pack one.

You don't need to stock up on everything,there are stores out there.

We have taken many 4+ week long trips and carry most what we need.

We take items that we can't find while out and about.Then get other items as needed.

If you are planning on some amount of solar that will charge the house battery so

you can run lights,recharge phones/laptop things like that? Comes in very handy.

You haven't mentioned your truck. If you have a double cab style some of the rear seat

can be used for storage.

I find being organized is one of the most helpful things to be.

These campers are great but storage is something to consider.

Your on the right path.Ask questions and answers will come.

Frank

Hey Frank, 

I was referring to whatever brand powered fan that ATC installs, seems like it is highly recommended!

Truck is still yet to be acquired as well. Leaning towards a full size, 6.5 bed crew cab. Most likely 3/4 ton but could consider a half ton if it had the right configuration for a decent payload. Would love a midsize, but with a child and possible additions I think I need more storage/payload than what I could get out of a Tacoma/Ranger/Colorado. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users