• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#81 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:27 PM

Camper still loaded and ready to go, so anyone ready to run over to the Monitor Range/Austin  area next week if the smoke has cleared a tad-give a pm.
Enough talk--back to the tv :rolleyes:!

Smoke

Smoke- Don’t forget the PurpleAir website where you may be able to see air quality near your trip destination.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#82 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:47 PM

This isn't about fires per-say but sorta related.

In Yellowstone due to high water temps and low flow

fishing in all rivers/creeks only allowed from sunrise to 2PM.

Seems the water temp is around 68* and very stressful for the native fish.

Drought has many effects other then fires.

Not a good time in the west.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#83 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:53 PM

Smoke- Don’t forget the PurpleAir website where you may be able to see air quality near your trip destination.

There are big holes in Nevada where there is no monitor stations, so it always looks great in central Nevada :)

NDOT has traffic cameras one can get a view across Nevada.  https://nvroads.com/

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#84 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:02 PM

Evacuations for the Topaz Ranch Estates and Topaz Lake are lifted as of 2 p.m. on Sunday. Residents are allowed to return to their homes, according to Douglas County officials in a news release. Non-mandatory evacuations remain in place for the Holbrook Junction/Highlands area and Spring Valley areas.

Earlier, Lyon County announced that it has rescinded its warning to evacuate in the Smith Valley area.

Good news, the winds have died down and they are able to make some progress on the Tamarac fire.  We are between the Tamarac and Dixie fires and that is bringing us smoke from both fires.  Our current PM2.5 value is 286 - Very Unhealthy at 3 pm.

Edited by pvstoy, 25 July 2021 - 10:05 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#85 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:02 PM

Still not fire related, Oregon has implemented the same fishing restrictions for a lot of the state. Here they call it “Hoot Owl” restrictions. They have also flat out recommended curtailing ones targeting trout and such, and focus on bass and warm water game fish. As of this posting the various info and media outlets are still waiting for comment from the bass, crappie, and perch committees, also known as the Lilly Pad and Log Party.

To get us back to the original topic:

https://www.nifc.gov/nicc/sitreprt.pdf

Edited by LuckyDan, 25 July 2021 - 10:12 PM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#86 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:56 AM

Mandatory evacuations for Taylorsville and Genesee Valley. Can't go much further without running into one of the burns thats ravaged that area in the past couple year. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#87 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:07 PM

The Tamarack is close to 60% containment and fire activity is down as a result of moisture moving into the area. We drove north through Walker around 9:00 am on Monday shortly after 395 was reopened. We entered the burn on the north edge of Topaz - ringed with multiple lines of retardant drops. Most of the homes on the west side of Holbrook Junction were saved by retardant lines along the edge of the mountains. We saw - from the highway - only one or two structures lost. The power line along the west side of 395 was devastated. A massive effort with incredible numbers of crews and pole trucks were staging and getting to work out on the still smoldering terrain. A lot of out of area crews are making money.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#88 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:51 PM

Hey Ski - do you ever think of moving? I was at a friend's house the other night. Retired Battalion Chief, Los Padres NF. He saved his house in the Mountain View fire. 10 hours. Just him and a shovel. We are getting sick of it but where to go? ( where can we afford) We were discussing. Tornados would be a firm no. 

Teledork, please forgive my tardiness as we were away for a few days.

Do we ever think of moving? Probably everyday. First off, it's just fun to dream. But, more critical, it's important to face the reality of living here. It is inevitable that everything will burn here. It is deep - all the way to your bones - frightening to realize what a death trap this area is poised to be.

Our home lot is as cleared and safe as we can make it. We have a fire hydrant 35 feet from where I sit. It is our neighbors that will take most everything we own and possibly kill us. Neighbors below us live in thickets of fuel and have failed their CalFire inspections. They do nothing. Below us is a large forested subdivision - once private timberland now dense second or third growth - quarter acre lots with intertwining "greenbelts". For the over 30 years we've lived here the infighting among the residents have stopped any moves toward making it fire safe. They still squabble. The smart ones are selling. Home prices are booming and homes sell within days. Do the new buyers even investigate the cost of fire insurance? Ours has gone up 350% in the last three years.

The county's not much better. They try. We live just off the major county road here. It will be THE evacuation route. It needs massive clearing on both sides. The canopy over the road is scary. We have only a half mile to the big highway. It is scary to think of the hundreds who could die in their cars in the chaos of being overrun with fire. Our local USFS National Forest is doing a better job of turning major forest roads into possible fuel breaks. The private owners and the county are not.

Do we ever think of moving? Yes.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#89 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:19 PM

Every time I pass Pollock Pines and Placerville I wonder when, not if, those communities will burn. I see the same things Ski does. Scary is right. 

Good to see the Tamarack fire seems to be, mostly under control. Still crossing my fingers the Dixie fire doesn't go any further east. One thing about watching this fire is I've realized how little I know about the country on the West end of the fire. I've been meaning to explore the Highland country but haven't gotten around to it. I guess I'll put that off another year.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#90 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:40 PM

For the 30 years we had our cabin in Dorrington we would be asked by friends that question.

Now we didn't live there full time.My answer is that the place is insured and other than that

I just kept the lot as safe as possible

I think one thing in it's favor is that the Ebbetts Pass FD is VERY  strict.At least yearly inspections

and noncompliance would get you a big quick ticket for each issue.

Cal Fire there doesn't mess around. Since 1984 until we sold in 2014 we were very fortunate

to not have any major fires.But that still leaves the problem,if there's a fire up or down the hill only

one way out.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users