292 replies to this topic

#91 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:01 PM

We drove north through Walker around 9:00 am on Monday shortly after 395 was reopened. <snip>The power line along the west side of 395 was devastated. 

I was headed into Gardnerville for groceries and an oil change - was probably just ahead of you going north.

And we are still waiting to hear what is happening with the multiple generators set up on the N end of Walker. We were supposed to be hooked up last night or this morning but it didn't happen. When it heats up again and if they do not have this auxiliary power and everybody starts to crank up their AC we will not have enough juice. Another line comes in from Wellington, NV but we are dependent on that line that burned.  

#92 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:21 PM

Teledork, please forgive my tardiness as we were away for a few days.

I don't think you need to apologize for being out somewhere. 

I fell into a complacency about fire here on the edge of the desert after I moved from the Sierra foothills, elevation 1500. That place burned less than a year after we moved. But especially after two fires last "season" I hear you about the all the way to the bones fear. And I don't feel I am in as much danger as those of you who live in the middle elevation forests - which is why I asked you.

I also do not have the evacuation fears that the middle elevation - or God forbid the Tahoe basin - could engender. But I also had the good fortune to be upwind of the Mountain View fire last November. 

Your neighborhood sounds scary, Ski. 

#93 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:31 AM

I wonder about the people who don't clear their property. Do they think the fire departments aren't serious when they say they won't protect uncleared properties? I really suspect its more of "it won't happen to me" kind of thinking. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#94 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:29 AM

We live among a bunch of little children in the school yard screaming, "You can't tell me what to do! You can't make me!"

They will do nothing to help themselves or others.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#95 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:31 AM

Dixie fire has broken containment in two spots. One threatening Greenville, another to the West. 

#96 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:29 PM

Dixie fire has broken containment in two spots. One threatening Greenville, another to the West. 

:(

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#97 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:35 PM

Yep, and Susanville is right in the path of the smoke a good part of the time. Around 4pm every day the ashes start to fall and the smoke clouds begin to form in the west, the sun if it is not covered by the usual overcast, turns red, and I button up the house, turn on my air purifier  and get ready for some more of that unhealthy air!  97 degrees, our there now and  unlike allot of folks out here in the west at least I have a house to go hide in!  Last night had real light show with  clouds turning red with a nice black background too.  Every ones phone around here connected to the local sheriff's dept so you can get all the evac alerts and last night it rang allot with what was going on over in the Greenville area. My truck loaded and "Go bag" all packed and ready to go. That fire will not just lay down and the winds just gets it going faster. Any way I will not worry until they evacuate  Westwood. Another day in the new west!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#98 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:25 AM

Pays to be prepared. Chester is evacuating again. Just the other day they went back to a warning. I'm really surprised the fire hasn't come off Mount Hough and into Taylorsville. Impressive view from the Indian Ridge cam.

#99 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:40 PM

Julie and I drove over Monitor Pass from Antelope Valley yesterday (Tuesday August 4th) and through Markleeville to Woodfords. Downtown Markleeville was so lucky. The Tamarack Fire was right to edges. A helicopter LZ is still established on Monitor Pass. The homes, small communities, structures along 89 north of Markleeville were also incredibly lucky. Massive amount of electric line and pole repair is on going. All trees within the power line corridor are felled. I expect along the highways will be next. In the Carson Canyon the fire came down to 88. In many areas the fire went through very fast. Toasted needles are still on the pines.

#100 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:43 PM

I read where the Dixie fire has destroyed the "ghost town"Rich Bar along the Feather river.

Isn't that the one posted a few years back for sale on our site?

It's all gone.What a loss.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users