Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 August 2021 - 05:55 PM

Unfortunately the news out of Greenville is confirmed. Not good :(

Information on Greenville -

Dixie Fire Spreads into Greenville

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#112 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:46 PM

We both went through some evacuation checklists while large chunks of ash-fall landed on our decks, cars and garden.   There were 1-2" chunks of charred leaves from oaks and bayleaf falling with the general white ash, but nothing hot, thank goodness.  I tanked up the Hawk with fresh water. 

I experienced that last year during the Slink fire - both ash and burnt sagebrush twigs made a real strange sound falling through the trees. And then the Mountain View fire. My camper and go-bags have been packed since May and the wind puts us on high alert (AKA PTSD)

I don't want to insult you by saying "be careful" or anything else inane so I won't. I'll just be here worrying. I used to live in Yuba County - still have some good friends in the area. 

#113 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:23 PM

Sky is red, smoky and unhealthy -just like last year and very dark out and my house lights are on. Red Flag condition s and 40 mph winds driving fire real fast- latest update on Dixie Fire according to local radio station at 200pm.  Last fire engines pulled out of western end of Chester along with last diehard residents' . Silver Lake area, Lassen NP evacuated  Westwood and Clear Creek and mountain meadows Res. area evacuated and a new north end fire command will be relocated at the Susanville Fairgrounds and they request that we keep off HW 36 as evacuees  and fire personnel come here. New evac centers opened at local High School and expanded at the Lassen College. I  went down to store around noon, roads packed with cars, campers, fire equipment. Again sounds like last year with fire fighters getting ready to make a stand to the west of here and no where to go, but charging camper in case we lose power again or I decide to head our but right now with all the fire folks here in Susanviille this could be the safest place around for now-. yep another interesting year and it is only August!  Until next update!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 05 August 2021 - 11:25 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#114 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:43 PM

Smoke, please keep us updated.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#115 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:47 AM

Sky is red, smoky and unhealthy -just like last year and very dark out and my house lights are on. Red Flag condition s and 40 mph winds driving fire real fast- latest update on Dixie Fire according to local radio station at 200pm.  Last fire engines pulled out of western end of Chester along with last diehard residents' . Silver Lake area, Lassen NP evacuated  Westwood and Clear Creek and mountain meadows Res. area evacuated and a new north end fire command will be relocated at the Susanville Fairgrounds and they request that we keep off HW 36 as evacuees  and fire personnel come here. New evac centers opened at local High School and expanded at the Lassen College. I  went down to store around noon, roads packed with cars, campers, fire equipment. Again sounds like last year with fire fighters getting ready to make a stand to the west of here and no where to go, but charging camper in case we lose power again or I decide to head our but right now with all the fire folks here in Susanviille this could be the safest place around for now-. yep another interesting year and it is only August!  Until next update!

Smoke

Glad I canceled our reservations next week for Lassen.

Actually canceled the whole trip up the coast to Vernonia,Or west of Portland.

Between Covid and possible smoke from fires it was the smart move for us.

Smoke stay safe and ready to move out.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#116 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:05 AM

The sun is setting after several hours of thunderstorm over the Elk Horn Mts.  I’m saying my prayers that I’m smelling soggy sagebrush and not wildfire smoke.   Hopefully everyone here in the West is safe and sound.

gallery_4841_711_2049596.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#117 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:26 AM

Looks like Oregon is really getting hit hard with smoke

Satellite-photo-smoke-from-California-fi

#118 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:48 PM

Looking at the satellite view still glad we cancelled out trip north.

Even the coastal area of Oregon has smoke.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#119 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 August 2021 - 03:42 AM

A little smoky here but nothing like we had during the Camp fire.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#120 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 09:41 PM

Very smoky over on the east side. I'd give it a 9.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users