ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 September 2021 - 01:26 AM

Not lacking for resources on this one. 

Yes, they are really hitting it. Good.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#262 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 September 2021 - 04:31 AM

Yes, its a bad spot and could really take off. Besides I want my guys back on the line on the Dixie fire. Lets not have it be the first million acre fire. So far it looks like the group camp at Antelope Lake was spared but I'm thinking all the access roads may be closed to the lake. I hate to see any area burn but its worse when its an area you've traveled personally.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#263 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 September 2021 - 03:09 PM

Looks promising so far. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#264 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:02 PM

Boy that sure looks like it could be another huge problem.

Glad to see it's being attacked quickly.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#265 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:38 PM

In 2014 the King Fire burned within .75 mile from our home. Here is an excellent video explaining how fires and fire behavior has changed.

The King Fire burned around 100,000 acres. The Caldor Fire that we narrowly escaped has now burned over 216,000 acres. The Dixie Fire to our north is approaching 1,000,000 acres burned.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#266 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:15 AM

We've been lucky in Bend so far this fire season (knock on wood) -- no fires threatening town.  But there has been some mighty bad smoky air.

I've lived in Bend for 43 years, and it hasn't always been this way.

Smoky skies are slowly becoming a late-summer norm for Bend

KTVZ TV

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#267 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:00 PM

Keeping small fires small.

#268 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:36 PM

Keeping small fires small.

Bill thanks for sharing!  I’m glad they caught this one while it was small.  We still need to figure out how keep the understory under control.

There is a good chance I turned wrenches on that OV 10.

I am haunted by waters

#269 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:18 AM

My friend was in the bulls eye of the Mountain View fire last year. He retired here after having been a firefighter for more than 30 years  and he stayed and saved his home. If I could only use two words to describe his property it would be  **** discontinuous fuel. **** 

I nodded my head when I heard those words in the video ski3pin posted. 

It may be worth the time to look up some stuff written by George Wuerthner on fire if you have an interest. He has articles published in many different places.  

#270 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:31 PM

Yes, we were among the lucky ones with the Caldor Fire. Here is a link to the structure status map. What stands out is the loss in the Grizzly Flats area and the cabins along highway 50 from Twin Bridges east.

Caldor Fire Structure Status Map

As the stories unfold about this wildfire incident, I hope two items are mentioned. One is the forest/health thinning project that was just completed in the Sly Park Recreation Area. I believe the fire laying down when it reached this area of reduced fuels is what saved our community and our home. The second is the extensive forest health/thinning project along the south side of Pioneer Trail (National Forest lands) in the Tahoe Basin. This, I believe played a major role in saving South Lake Tahoe. The Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (USFS) worked hard against a lot of opposition to get this project approved and completed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users