19 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 July 2021 - 03:55 PM

Here are some sobering thoughts for this Independence Day weekend - as hordes flock to the outdoors -

Crowded Parks - Leave No Trace

and 

Crisis In Our National Parks

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Ski. Sure glad we have done a lot of traveling/camping over our many years.

Got to enjoy a lot of places that today are very crowded.

Will still get out there when we can and visit out NP/NFs.,just have to pick the better time.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

Thank goodness there are many out of the way places that most people would not consider driving into. But a person must have an appreciation for raw backcountry, far from well travelled roads and overly hyped disney land like parks. Takes a bit of self reliance and being comfortable when no other people are around. Surprising how many people are uncomfortable when no other vehicles or people are visible. Maybe that is the WTW denizen's secret, eh?

One for instance: We drove along the southern side of Vermillion Cliffs last fall, then turned north on House Rock road. Drove about 4 or 5 miles, found a very nice boondock site. The next day we continued north on the dirt track, seeing no one for hours, but passing dozens of interesting places to explore and boondock. But as we got closer to The Wave trailhead we suddenly came upon dozens of vehicles and who knows how many people. It was heavily used until we hit the pavement again and drove to Kanab. People are generally social creatures, it seems. They love to flock. I guess my wife and I are somewhat lacking in that department. Give us the empty lands anytime.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 05 July 2021 - 04:22 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:51 PM

That comfort level being alone may have a lot to do with it. My brother and I took the dogs out of town to avoid the fourth and camped near Ice House Reservoir. My brother commented to me "don't you get nervous being out by yourself"? I think there is something different about us and being comfortable by ourselves (or as near as you can nowadays). 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:56 PM

That comfort level being alone may have a lot to do with it. My brother and I took the dogs out of town to avoid the fourth and camped near Ice House Reservoir. My brother commented to me "don't you get nervous being out by yourself"? I think there is something different about us and being comfortable by ourselves (or as near as you can nowadays). 

Well Craig, as a fellow Sactown local, I'd be hard pressed to consider anything near Ice House Reservoir to be "out by yourself."

:rolleyes:

I'd guess that you may have been, per your brother, by your lonesomes but it likely was not more than two or three miles to pavement and a steady stream of traffic. :)

I find that people that get nervous for us alone in the outdoors have maybe seen too many horror films and often think in terms of "what if some psycho with a machete came upon you????"

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#6 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 July 2021 - 10:05 PM

Here are some sobering thoughts for this Independence Day weekend - as hordes flock to the outdoors -

Crowded Parks - Leave No Trace

and 

Crisis In Our National Parks

And those two stories are PRE-pandemic and we all know that things are much worse now.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 July 2021 - 10:27 PM

Thank goodness for "Psychos With Machetes" for the peace and quiet we experience in the deep boondocks. What a strange world we live in!

Edited by AWG_Pics, 05 July 2021 - 10:28 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:06 AM

Well Craig, as a fellow Sactown local, I'd be hard pressed to consider anything near Ice House Reservoir to be "out by yourself."

:rolleyes:

I'd guess that you may have been, per your brother, by your lonesomes but it likely was not more than two or three miles to pavement and a steady stream of traffic. :)

I find that people that get nervous for us alone in the outdoors have maybe seen too many horror films and often think in terms of "what if some psycho with a machete came upon you????"

Definitely agree. Not a place I would normally go for camping, Just a quiet place for a few hours.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:53 AM

What would be great is if we invest in more land set aside for us to enjoy ..... there are many people who want and desperately need to experience being out in nature. It is a boon economically to the area as well in the long run. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#10 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:01 PM

an change the rule to 14days of occupied use! saw hundreds if not thousands of trailers dropped off in backcountry spots on are 2 month trip in the n.w.an not one was in use!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users