22 replies to this topic

#1 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:25 PM

Homemade roof "assist" device.  

Been a long time since I posted work done on my 2008 Eagle shell.    

Due to injury to one arm, I was having difficulty lifting my roof despite having exterior roof lift pistons.  The problem was getting it up past the initial 12-15 inches where the exterior lifts do little to assist.  Bought an air assist speaker stand pole without a base from On-Stage for $50. (model SS7748).  Lifts up to 45 lbs. from 36 to 60 inches.  

In down position the pole is only about 36 inches so I had to make a wooden extender from a piece of 4X4 and add a flat piece of wood that distributed the push against the cross piece of wood in the ceiling.  Turn the little knob and the roof lifts up automatically.  Once pretty far up, I can finish the lift using one arm.  The bungie cords catch the wood extender piece so it doesn't fall to the floor.  

I realize this is pretty fancy just to get that initial lift but I just didn't see an easier way that wasn't to expensive.  I hope that when my arm heals that I don't need it any longer. 

I still love my Eagle shell which I built out in 2008 (bought directly from Woodland).  Great camper! 

Chris

Roof Lift3.jpg Roof Lift1.jpg Rooft Lift2.jpg

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#2 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:14 PM

Hope your arm heals up good, but I bet you'll find yourself continuing to use your speaker stand in any event.  Over the years this particular lift assist item has been a popular addition to many WTWers' camper-must-haves.  Enjoy it mightily, I do.

Rico.  

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#3 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:37 PM

Nice work.  Stay cool if you are in WA.  Hot here in Idaho these days.

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 July 2021 - 01:38 PM

Homemade roof "assist" device.  

Been a long time since I posted work done on my 2008 Eagle shell.    

Due to injury to one arm, I was having difficulty lifting my roof despite having exterior roof lift pistons.  The problem was getting it up past the initial 12-15 inches where the exterior lifts do little to assist.  Bought an air assist speaker stand pole without a base from On-Stage for $50. (model SS7748).  Lifts up to 45 lbs. from 36 to 60 inches.  

In down position the pole is only about 36 inches so I had to make a wooden extender from a piece of 4X4 and add a flat piece of wood that distributed the push against the cross piece of wood in the ceiling.  Turn the little knob and the roof lifts up automatically.  Once pretty far up, I can finish the lift using one arm.  The bungie cords catch the wood extender piece so it doesn't fall to the floor.  

I realize this is pretty fancy just to get that initial lift but I just didn't see an easier way that wasn't to expensive.  I hope that when my arm heals that I don't need it any longer. 

I still love my Eagle shell which I built out in 2008 (bought directly from Woodland).  Great camper! 

Chris

attachicon.gifRoof Lift3.jpgattachicon.gifRoof Lift1.jpgattachicon.gifRooft Lift2.jpg

Chris, nice.  I think you would find it easier to use if you screwed a block (with a countersunk hole for the lift tube) to the lifting board, and used the extension block on the floor.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:30 PM

Good suggestion.  Thanks. 

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#6 Gussie

Gussie

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationDunsmuir, California, USA

Posted 05 July 2021 - 04:00 PM

Oooooh, I'm going to give this a try. I have Yakima bars and a cargo box on top. Of course, the cargo box is emptied when I lift the camper, but it will be interesting to see if the speaker stand pole can handle the extra weight.
I'll try it and give an update, if anyone is interested.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200724_134718.jpg

Edited by Gussie, 05 July 2021 - 04:05 PM.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." (Oscar Wilde)

2016 ATC Bobcat on a 2023 Tacoma Off-Road

#7 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:16 PM

Hi Folks.  Here's an update. I changed the design.  Thank-you Free Range Human for your idea to move the extension to the bottom.  Great idea!  My new design is significantly better and I can lift the top with one finger!  (I won't say which one). 

I have welding skills. So I built a steel bracket (see photo) and put a wood block in the center.  I welded an M20 nut to the bracket which allows the bracket to screw onto the purchased air lift pole.  This wood block swivels which is great because the roof changes angles as it goes up.   

In the 2nd photo notice that I created the extension out of 1.5 inch PVC.  I duct taped the end of the purchased air pole base to make the PVC nice and snug (acts as a sleeve).  The photo shows the extension unattached.  Notice the 5/8 bolt I put in the PVC extension that keeps the base of the pole from going too far into the extender.  

If anyone wants a detailed drawing let me know.  The problem for most people will be welding the bracket.  

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• Lift new1.JPG
  • Lift News2.JPG

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:28 PM

Another option:

I used a piece of PVC pipe, a PVC inline connector, and end cap to make an extension for my speaker stand:

(Sorry, I never think about photos until I'm done with a project, so its painted black)

jack.jpg

And use a shower curtain rod wall mount to locate the jack in the ceiling:

socket.jpg

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:29 PM

If you want to get really lazy, you can also use a linear actuator in place of the speaker lift so you really can use your pinky finger for push button roof lifitng.  

You need a 30" linear actuator  a reversing switch and a power cord.   With a fleet flatbed, I didn't even need any sort of bracket or extender, it works as is with some rubber chair leg bumpers on the ends of the actuator.    For other models, you may need the 40" actuator. 

Edited by rando, 06 July 2021 - 05:31 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:37 PM

If you want to get really lazy . . .

or battery powered drill.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby