Oregon Coast

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 08:30 PM

I've been scouring CalTopo and Google Maps looking for someplace on the southern to central Oregon coast where we can pop the top and enjoy the ocean. I know we can take a chance on finding an unoccupied pull out because that's legal on much of 101. We could camp on a bar on the Chetco or the Rogue. Any other ideas? We're fine sleeping higher and driving down to the water. Thanks!

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 July 2021 - 09:18 PM

The Bandon area has a SP and large beach.Don't know about just pulling over to camp though.

The SP is a typical site but the beach is so big and long you don't feel crowded.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 09:25 PM

The Bandon area has a SP and large beach.Don't know about just pulling over to camp though.

The SP is a typical site but the beach is so big and long you don't feel crowded.

Frank

Thanks! We know the coast well because we live inland in Southern Oregon. Where to dispersed camp is a different question though. I was hoping to find USFS or BLM land close enough to the water that we could at least see, hear and smell it, but no luck thus far, short of river bars and pullouts. 

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 July 2021 - 09:35 PM

Yeah I thing that request might be hard to fill.Although the National Sea Shore up south

of Florence used to be a place to camp without hoards of people.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:15 PM

My father, who lived in Florence, then Rockaway Beach, referred to summer as the invasion of the sand fleas.

I am haunted by waters

#6 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:16 PM

Yeah I thing that request might be hard to fill.Although the National Sea Shore up south

of Florence used to be a place to camp without hoards of people.

Frank

That's the only area of USFS that goes to the ocean. The Siuslaw is big though. I was hoping someone who'd been there might chime in on dispersed camping locations. 

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:17 PM

There is no camping on most 101 scenic overlooks....that is not to say that some folks don't drive out here  and park their motorhomes complete with picnic tables for a week at a time. 

In my county there is not enough enforcement resource to deal with it.

Expect trash and lots of bio hazzard

David Graves

#8 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:18 PM

My father, who lived in Florence, then Rockaway Beach, referred to summer as the invasion of the sand fleas.

I really like Haceta Beach just North of Florence, but I've never been there mid-summer. Can't camp there either. 

#9 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 10:22 PM

There is no camping on most 101 scenic overlooks....that is not to say that some folks don't drive out here  and park their motorhomes complete with picnic tables for a week at a time. 

In my county there is not enough enforcement resource to deal with it.

Expect trash and lots of bio hazzard

David Graves

Unless posted, you can stop for 12h or less anywhere on the S 101. Most of the posted signs are in city limits or formal paved lookouts. That said, with easy access, nice weather and homelessness the way it has been of recent, it could be gross. I just don't know if I want to "camp" on the freeway. I really don't like camping in campgrounds. Maybe it's an unanswerable question. 

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:32 AM

What is THE S 101 ?

Most pull outs in my area are signed no occupied vehicle parking 12.01 am till 5:30 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users