36 replies to this topic

#1 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 July 2021 - 11:59 PM

A friend called from Modesto saying she just felt a strong quake asking if we had here on the Monterey Bay area.

Didn't feel anything here.
But reports of shocks in Markleeville,Dardanelles area.

Rock slides over 395 around Bridgeport. 395 closed detour to 182.

Epicenter located Smith Valley Nv.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:58 AM

Some felt it here in Sac. Not me. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 13 July 2021 - 01:14 AM

It was also felt in Shaver Lake.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#4 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 13 July 2021 - 03:13 AM

The epicenter of this quake was less than two miles from my house in Walker, in Little Antelope Valley. It was rather shallow.

I was in Emigrant Wilderness. I felt the quake while sitting by a lake along the crest of the Sierra -  like I was lifted (but not dropped) and then shaken. While John Muir was quoted as referring to "a noble earthquake " my commentary was a bit more base and will not be repeated here. My housemate (who experienced the Loma Prieta quake and said this was more violent) - while amazed and pleased that this early sixties slab built house survived the beating - has not slept much in the past several days. I got home midday today and the aftershocks, which apparently are accompanied by a loud rumble, and have been 4s and 5s as well as smaller, have tapered off. I have not experienced one - yet.  

Lost some terra cotta pots on a shelf in the greenhouse and there are some new cracks in the walls. The tile floor is probably a good advertisement for underlayment - all good.

That was not on my bingo card. 

Edited by teledork, 13 July 2021 - 03:20 AM.

#5 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 13 July 2021 - 02:00 PM

also - muddy, stinky well water, a weird dust that hung in the air from the ground up about 4 or 5 feet (even in the house) and these crazy acting bugs that appeared in mass and then disappeared again and when my housemate told me of stepping on one and tiny worms squiggled away I told her she needed to stop watching Twilight Zone re-runs

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:31 PM

Glad you are OK.

I was about 2 miles from the Loma Prieta quake sitting in my car

waiting for my daughter to finish with dance class. Lots of shaking and

breaking glass from inside homes.Very interesting experience.

I live about 8 mikes from the fault so we get some shakers once in a while.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:55 PM

Julie and I were in the Sierra Nevada high country 20 miles to the west northwest of the epicenter walking up a small hill back to camp at 3:49 pm. We did not feel the 6.0 magnitude quake nor did we feel the 5.2 magnitude quake one minute later. We did feel the two low 4 magnitude aftershocks around 10 pm that evening when in our camper. I am very surprised we did not feel even a hint of the two quakes as we were so close to the epicenter.

Here is a an interesting article on the Walker Lane Fault Zone.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the info.

Always interesting to read about the earth faulting.

Frank

#9 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:54 AM

just got a 4.0 aftershock, short, the first I've felt since I got home - don't want to imagine 20 seconds of that (which apparently seemed longer because of the almost immediate aftershock)

Here is a an interesting article on the Walker Lane Fault Zone.

Yes - an interesting article

Edited by teledork, 14 July 2021 - 04:01 AM.

#10 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 16 July 2021 - 01:07 AM

And a week later the aftershocks keep on keeping on. Apparently I am getting good at sleeping through up to a 3.0 - provided they are quiet. The rumble that often precedes the shaking just makes it worse. I yelped out loud when a 4 came a rumbling and banging while I was having my tea this morning. I am not sure how many aftershocks there have been but I suspect we are into a thousand something  now and many of the epicenters are less than a mile from my house. I was born and raised in the SF bay area and have never felt anything like this. 

This valley, like much of the Walker Lane seismic zone, is chock full of little faults. I suppose it is like trying to sleep in a dog pile - when one dog moves everyone else has to adjust as well. It is exciting but also exhausting. My housemate leaned against a closet door and it moved and made a noise and we both jumped. Or a truck on the highway down the hill is loud and I brace. And here I am whining - she has been here the entire time while I just got home on Monday. 

After the past year - fire (lost 1/3 of the community)  blizzard (6 feet of snow paralyzed this community and closed Hwy 395 for a week) and winds that drop tree limbs on the roof and kick up lightning holdover fires we now have the earth shaking. I have been singing this song since I felt the quake while sitting by a lake in the backcountry:

"That's great it starts with an earthquake birds and snakes and aeroplanes - Lenny Bruce is not afraid

Eye of the hurricane listen to yourself churn world serves it's own needs don't mis-serve your own needs (etc) 

It's the end of the world as we know it --

(my favorite line - Birthday party cheesecake jellybean boom)

REM - End Of The World As We Know it 

here is a photo of the Slink Fire approaching my house last year

Attached Thumbnails

• JTTI4294.JPG

Edited by teledork, 16 July 2021 - 03:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users