36 replies to this topic

#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 July 2021 - 01:46 AM

Tetedork you sure have gone through a lot and with covid on top.

I remember the 89 quake we had a lot of large aftershocks and we live only 6 so miles from the fault.

It can get pretty fearful when they come on a multi daily basis.

Stay safe.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 July 2021 - 02:35 AM

Julie and I were in the Sierra Nevada high country 20 miles to the west northwest of the epicenter walking up a small hill back to camp at 3:49 pm. We did not feel the 6.0 magnitude quake nor did we feel the 5.2 magnitude quake one minute later. We did feel the two low 4 magnitude aftershocks around 10 pm that evening when in our camper. I am very surprised we did not feel even a hint of the two quakes as we were so close to the epicenter.

Here is a an interesting article on the Walker Lane Fault Zone.

Now that we are home I questioned a couple of friends about feeling the quake here. The said it was a really good one that had them wondering if and when the shaking would stop. Still such a surprise we didn't feel a thing.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:44 AM

Now that we are home I questioned a couple of friends about feeling the quake here. The said it was a really good one that had them wondering if and when the shaking would stop. Still such a surprise we didn't feel a thing.

So you were  off Hwy 4 - right? I wonder if the type of rock in between has a different capacity to carry the waves. It is always fascinating to see the maps of where an earthquake was felt.

#14 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:47 AM

Tetedork you sure have gone through a lot and with covid on top.

I remember the 89 quake we had a lot of large aftershocks and we live only 6 so miles from the fault.

It can get pretty fearful when they come on a multi daily basis.

Stay safe.

Frank

I heard the 89 quake over the phone. My sister lived in SF. I had called her to inform her Oakland was the better team. 

#15 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:07 AM

So you were  off Hwy 4 - right? I wonder if the type of rock in between has a different capacity to carry the waves. It is always fascinating to see the maps of where an earthquake was felt.

While studying for my geology degree 45 years ago seismology was never my primary interest, but I learned enough to understand that different types of rock transmit P waves and the various types of S waves differently.  The S waves (shear waves) are the slowest and the last to reach a seismograph and can only move through solids.  P waves are compression waves and can move through solids and liquids.

My youngest sister was at a baseball/softball complex in the Santa Cruz area when the Loma Prieta quake struck in '89.  She saw S waves flash across the broad open area following the initial shock of the P waves.

Foy

Edited by Foy, 16 July 2021 - 10:09 AM.

#16 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 17 July 2021 - 01:55 PM

My youngest sister was at a baseball/softball complex in the Santa Cruz area when the Loma Prieta quake struck in '89.  She saw S waves flash across the broad open area following the initial shock of the P waves.

Foy

My housemate said her car looked like it was driving over speed bumps and the gravel in the parking area was bouncing in this quake.

edit to add - awakened at 2:49 this morning - 3.5 exceeded my sleepability

my housemate said aftershocks from the Loma Prieta went on for six months

oh joy

Edited by teledork, 17 July 2021 - 02:18 PM.

#17 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:03 PM

It seemed to have quieted down lately but I guess I am getting used to the aftershocks - maybe. We had a swarm of them last night around the dinner hour that I barely noticed but the 4.6 woke me shortly after I had fallen asleep. Then, apparently, I slept through several other 2.5 - 3.3 quakes before midnight and again around 3:30 am. And then awakened before 5 this morning. These latest epicenters are in the Sweetwater Mountains above Desert Creek - a new location! 

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 28 August 2021 - 04:59 AM

also - muddy, stinky well water, a weird dust that hung in the air from the ground up about 4 or 5 feet (even in the house) and these crazy acting bugs that appeared in mass and then disappeared again and when my housemate told me of stepping on one and tiny worms squiggled away I told her she needed to stop watching Twilight Zone re-runs

Do not adjust your television.

Wow.  That is a strange series of events.  Well water turbidity too.

After this week's local fire, I'm keeping a sharp eye out for murder hornets.

Edited by Lighthawk, 28 August 2021 - 04:59 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 28 August 2021 - 05:01 AM

Now that we are home 

Yay!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#20 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 28 August 2021 - 02:25 PM

Yay!

Ski posted that over a month ago. They are still at our place. Julie had a successful knee replacement yesterday and will be rejoining us today.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users