5 replies to this topic

#1 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 05:57 PM

Too be honest, I know little about electricity.  How do I get my wife's coffee maker to work in the camper.  I have a Hawk with solor panals and dual battery system.  I have never had to use the plug-ins for my-self.  This time my wife is going with me, I am glad.  Some of our camping will be off grid, is why I ask.  A friend mention I may need to install a power converter.  Another friend suggested to just purchase a 120v appliance, if I could find one.

So if anyone can HELP that would be great.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:09 PM

I use a 12v to 120v ,150w max convertor.

That size will allow me to charge camera battery,laptop,DVD player,phone,

and use my coffee grinder. It's all I need.

I think if you want to use something that draws more then 150w you need a bigger

convertor larger then 150w.

My solar keeps the 100a battery nicely charged.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

Inverters range from cheap to very expensive. What kind of coffee maker? Generally its best to make coffee on the stove. Electric coffee makers pull a lot of amps. You can make an inverter work but its terribly inefficient. I have a 1500 watt inverter to run my microwave and other small items but it only runs a few minutes at a time. A coffee maker thats on for twenty minutes is really going to drain those batteries down.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:20 PM

On another thread I inquired about running a coffee maker off an inverter; wisdom said they draw too much current/battery, etc. 

So being one who fools with this stuff all the time, I couldn't resist and bought a reconditioned 1500w inverter ($50 at inverter.com)  and a $12 coffee pot (on sale at bed bath beyond) which only draws  600 watts.....  

I connected it to my diy 'solar generator' which has a 35ah battery.  

For this experiment I used some old 6 ga. cables with jumper clamps from a crappy harbor freight battery jumper setup, which I took apart since it was a POS....

It took about 7 minutes to make 5 cups of coffee.  

What I did notice was the cables to the battery became a little warm.  

voltage on inverter read 11.7 volts at the start and about 11.6v  at the end.

(I have some 4 ga. cables I will be using in the future so it should be ok. )

Oh well...

Attached Files

Edited by 5outta6, 27 July 2021 - 02:24 PM.

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#5 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:10 PM

I think the advice was that this probably was not the most efficient way to make coffee if relying on a camper-sized electrical energy storage and generation system. Clearly it’s doable, though, as you showed. It all comes down to priorities. I have had stages in my life where the most important thing in the morning was where my coffee was coming from and what was its quality, so I get the focus on coffee making. I think others were trying to say that propane is a more efficient way to carry heat generation capacity.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#6 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:16 PM

I think the advice was that this probably was not the most efficient way to make coffee if relying on a camper-sized electrical energy storage and generation system. Clearly it’s doable, though, as you showed. It all comes down to priorities. I have had stages in my life where the most important thing in the morning was where my coffee was coming from and what was its quality, so I get the focus on coffee making. I think others were trying to say that propane is a more efficient way to carry heat generation capacity.

Me too on the coffee...

(i've tried many ways to make coffee:  coffee 'tea bags' , perculator on the stove, boiling water on the stove to make instant coffee, french press, etc)  I'm just lazy.....

I may mount the inverter and tie it into my camper battery/solar system....always something to play with.

Edited by 5outta6, 27 July 2021 - 03:21 PM.

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users