8 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:03 PM

Naming it the Beckworth pack may be clue as to its general vicinity. Hopefully they didn't move towards the fire. As the wolves continue to spread out it may no longer be safe to just assume you saw a coyote. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:39 PM

A few months ago we had a male move through Monterey co.

After a few times of reporting his movements haven't heard anymore about him.

Nice to hear they are expanding.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 03:36 AM

This may be unpopular, but I still don't think that we need wolves in the lower 48. My friend in Montana is a government trapper/shooter and he has had to kill over 1,000 wolves in the last 20 years. And those are just the proven livestock killers.It is a mess.

CWDT

#4 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 10 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

Certainly unpopular with me.  I think the livestock industry (particularly cattle) are ruining our public lands and have been for decades.  And the government (that is us, the owners) are subsidizing it by low to non-existent grazing fees along with little to no oversight.  I'd be much happier seeing more wildlife and fewer cow pies.

This may be unpopular, but I still don't think that we need wolves in the lower 48. My friend in Montana is a government trapper/shooter and he has had to kill over 1,000 wolves in the last 20 years. And those are just the proven livestock killers.It is a mess.

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 July 2021 - 02:43 PM

I would also agree that it is crazy that the government was sponsoring the extermination of an entire segment of the western ecosystem at the behest of the livestock industry.  It is very hard to reconcile that the same set of social values that require an EIS to examine whether a particular project with impact wildlife in a tiny area would allow for the wholesale and purposeful slaughter of wolves. 

I am glad to see the reintroduction of wolves in the west, and even happier to see that once they aren't being systematically exterminated, they are doing a pretty good job of reintroducing themselves without our help.   Lets hope that we can keep the wild in wilderness. 

Edited by rando, 10 July 2021 - 02:48 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 July 2021 - 03:05 PM

Rando and Atlin, thanks for the comments.

Agree here also.

Didn't hear much about the male that roamed

our area although there are livestock ranchers in

the south part of the county nothing from them.

I think the news was kept to a minimum.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 04:14 PM

Certainly unpopular with me.  I think the livestock industry (particularly cattle) are ruining our public lands and have been for decades.  And the government (that is us, the owners) are subsidizing it by low to non-existent grazing fees along with little to no oversight.  I'd be much happier seeing more wildlife and fewer cow pies.

I didn't think it would be popular. Government subsidies are a different subject ( I assume you don't eat beef). My friend's area is SW Montana and mostly private land. The elk population in Yellowstone and surrounding area has been decimated as well. It is a complicated subject, but every time humans try to "fix" things, it usually doesn't work.

CWDT

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 July 2021 - 04:56 PM

I suggest that assertions such as “elk populations decimated” include unbiased reporting/citations to support those assertions.  From my reading elk populations are down, but not decimated.   Also down is chronic over grazing in natural areas  What’s up are things like improved riparian habitat and the fauna that relies on it.  It is my belief that balance in nature is returning.

https://www.yellowst...nges-ecosystem/

https://www.nps.gov/...restoration.htm

https://www.national...ilize-ecosystem

Mike Finley, was the Superintendent of Yellowstone at the time on reintroduction and is former chair of the Oregon Dept of Fish & Wildlife, and was a year ahead of me in school.  Everything I have heard or read from him is very positive about the reintroduction.

I currently live in cattle country where beef is big business. Yes, we have wolves, and yes we lose a few head of cattle.  When predators are around, there are going to be some losses.  I haven’t seen a wolf here yet, but we have cougars and bears (near the house) who take game, and I suspect some livestock are also taken by them.  As an aside, I frequently have elk near or in my yard.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:35 PM

Well, if you look at the hunting districts in what I would call SW MT (the "300" numbered - I think there are 46 districts) only 4 districts are given a below average for population (2020 date). This data includes the Northern Yellowstone area.  FWP studies have also found in the Bitterroot that mountain lions were the biggest predator on elk. 

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users