• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bsimmons

Bsimmons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:59 PM

I have a question about grounding my electrical setup in the truck camper.

It’s a FWC Grandby shell.

I built cabinets with 80/20 aluminum extrusion. These are attached to the camper’s aluminum frame. The factory grounding for the camper electrical is to the grandby frame.

Am i safe to have this setup? Will current pass through my aluminum extrusion? Do I need a ground going to the truck frame?

Thanks

My setup in case it matters:
2 - Lion Energy 105Ah batteries
Victron MPPT for 400w solar
Victron Orion charger to alternator
Eaton 1800w Inverter/Charger

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 13 July 2021 - 02:27 AM

Your extrusion is likely anodized, so your conduction to the frame will be via fasteners unless you prepare surfaces. My new grandby has wired grounds for all the loads, even the various led lights. FWC connects the frame to ground for safety and corrosion reasons, but I don’t think they use it as the return for any loads, and certainly not large loads.

For charging from the truck, you need a negative wire from the truck battery to your charger. I used 6 awg positive and negative from the truck to the charger for an Orion 12/12-30 and it works fine. You don’t want to rely on a structural connection for that much current.

Edited by Jon R, 13 July 2021 - 02:36 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 July 2021 - 04:41 AM

80/20 is anodized if natural aluminum or black in color. Other colors are rumored to be powder-coating. Unless you put the plate nuts in with the collar up (into the slot) they probably won't pierce the anodizing and be electrically conductive. If you did put them in with the collar in the slot then they likely did pierce the anodize. The studs are serrated and likely pierced the ano, but none of the "tip-in" nuts are likely to do that.

We use a LOT of 80/20 at work!

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:12 PM

I think that if you do this, your eventual post will be “ why does my …fill in the blank…electrical apparatus sometimes work and sometimes not? “

build in a dedicated electrical area with a ground that connects to your vehicle grounding system then wire in home run circuits to a bus type system, life will be better and future trouble shooting will be predictable.

Edited by Mthomas, 30 July 2021 - 01:13 PM.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#5 Bsimmons

Bsimmons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. To clarify, I am running a dedicated ground system. My questions are primarily:

1. Is it dangerous for my aluminum framed cabinets to be connected to the ground system? (For instance, will I get shocked by touching an appliance, inverter etc and the cabinet?)

2. Is the FWC ground to just the camper but not the truck adequate?

Edited by Bsimmons, 30 July 2021 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users