5 replies to this topic

#1 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:19 PM

I had heard about coyotes and other wildlife cruising the empty streets in San Francisco and elsewhere but this is very, very interesting;

When stay-at-home orders began taking effect around the world, the reduction in noise was so drastic that seismologists saw a decrease in rumblings deep in the earth’s crust. The decline lasted for months and could be measured 1,300 feet underground. In some areas, the ground noise fell by up to 50%—the equivalent of going from a conversation to a quiet whisper.

https://goodtimes.sc/this-weeks-issue/pandemic-wildlife/

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:46 PM

I often wonder what the world must have sounded like to members of the Lewis and Clark expedition or to the first people to make it across the Bering land bridge 13,000 years ago. Our modern cacophony won't last forever and it is hard to get away from. I suppose that is why we enjoy the empty lands of Nevada and southeast Oregon so much. 

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:20 PM

I recall hearing a story (circa 1980 as I remember) about a new Weyrhauser office building that was so quiet that the new employee occupants complained about the silence.  The company had to pipe in white noise to reduce the complaints. Personally, I would have liked that quiet.  Perhaps, it was just a viral pre internet rumor.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:35 PM

In my working life I spent a lot of time in anechoic chambers; I found it quite relaxing.  But then, I'm weird: I don't even know if the radio in my truck works.

What amazes me is that there are lots of people that cannot tolerate not having noise around.  Just look at the number of people who go walking/running/hiking/biking with ear buds.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 July 2021 - 08:45 PM

I have a buddy who needs a radio on to sleep. He slept in my camper one time. Me I prefer it as quiet as I can get. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 July 2021 - 04:11 PM

Teledork, the two links you shared are incredible, deeply thought provoking, and illustrate the massive impact we (humans) have on the natural environment. We should all take a moment, step back, and allow ourselves to be aware of these facts that are so dramatic when our noise stops. I, also was taken by the quotes you added to your post such as -

"In some areas, the ground noise fell by up to 50%—the equivalent of going from a conversation to a quiet whisper."

Although a different impact, it reminded me what was found during the dramatic pause in air travel after the 9/11 attacks. The skies cleared of jet exhaust and high altitude condensation so much so that a rise in temperatures was noted.

We could all stand a lesson in walking softly on our home.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users