Photo

Trying to decide if an upgrade is worth it.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Silverbullet555

Silverbullet555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 01:40 PM

First, I know I am the only one that can determine if an upgrade is worth it. Campers never (except for 2020) come up in value over what you pay for them. You are paying for comfort, convenience, fun and experience. With that out of the way, here's my situation. Looking for thoughts, consideration, advice from those with more experience.

The current market is kind of silly and won't always be that way. My desire is to not overpay for an updated truck camper compared to a more normal market.

We have a 1995 Northland we bought last year right at the start of the pandemic. Bought it for a good price so I know we can get out of it what we have into it, plus probably some. It's been fun and fits us ok. Most of my trips are 2-3 people, but sometimes my wife has a weekend off so it becomes 4 (2 growing boys) I bought it to extend camping season and to camp at the lake with the boat in the summer and in the fall for hunting season. It works for that. Haven't found any current water intrusion though I suspect at some point, there have been a leak or two.

So, why upgrade? From an issues standpoint, the fridge doesn't work on propane. Norcold will replace that fridge under recall, but there will be fab work needed which I will likely have to add some funds too. The jacks need some servicing which I think I can do with their rebuild kits.  I don't like the layout of the bed (e/w vs n/s) and my wife would like to have an inside shower on the occasion she comes. Ideally we would like to have an AC to make summers a bit more comfortable when at a place with power which is more common in the summer. Ultimately, finding one in good shape that is 10 or so years newer isn't a bad thing.

So, what's the problem? I still want to go hunting with it and go on forest service roads and not feel guilty. I don't want to pay too much for something overall or find that the amenities I am looking for don't add real value. Much of that is personal choice on how much something is worth, but insights (and writing this out) helps me decide how much I want to spend for the comforts I desire. Long term, I expect a TT is in our future for trips to the coast where weather may be cold.

Fast forward to today's opportunity. A one owner 2005 Lance Lite 845 for sale locally. It's in really good shape, no evidence of leaks though I could see some cracks starting in the lap sealant around a vent. It has the bed I'd like, the wet bath, a fridge that works on all 3 modes, remote jacks (nice but not required) the winter package, 2 propane tanks, and a larger battery spot. The water tanks are a similar size to our current camper. It doesn't have AC but is prewired for it.

In short, it checks all my boxes except for AC

Listed for $8500 which is a bit over NADA.

It's just trying to decide how much I want to spend on a toy upgrade and is this camper at $7500-$8500 worth it. I did offer $6K to start the process, but got no counter offer. Considering bumping to $7 or $7500. I think we can get $3000 for our current camper so that would be a net of $4K.

Also trying to decide if trying to find a slightly newer one with metal framing instead of wood is a better decision. 

Edited by Silverbullet555, 16 July 2021 - 01:49 PM.

#2 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 16 July 2021 - 01:50 PM

A few years ago I saw a Youtube video by a Lance owner who filmed a Lance factory tour. Lance campers are very well made and I think they are kinda heavy.

I don't really know the market value of used truck campers (it varies from locale to locale) but it seems to me that 4k spent on an upgrade to get a Lance camper is something I would do.

Edited by DanoT, 16 July 2021 - 01:52 PM.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#3 Silverbullet555

Silverbullet555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 02:40 PM

A few years ago I saw a Youtube video by a Lance owner who filmed a Lance factory tour. Lance campers are very well made and I think they are kinda heavy.

I don't really know the market value of used truck campers (it varies from locale to locale) but it seems to me that 4k spent on an upgrade to get a Lance camper is something I would do.

Appreciate the insight. Good point about the cost to upgrade and getting into a potentially top tier brand. Not that my northland isn't well made. $4K for 10 years newer and checking more boxes makes good sense. 

#4 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:37 PM

If you have been getting good use out of your existing camper and your truck can handle the Lance, I would upgrade.  Particularly if the Lance is in as good condition as you describe.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#5 Silverbullet555

Silverbullet555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:39 PM

They won't come down on price so I'll be in for $5-6K net to upgrade. Still very tempting due to condition.

I struggle with accuracy from NADA and knowing is it low, is it high, etc.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:04 PM

No pun intended,but if you want those extras/upgrades then you need to bite the bullet.

If you keep it for many years and get a lot of use out of it then it's worth  the hit you might

take if you sell if at a future date.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Silverbullet555

Silverbullet555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 07:41 PM

No pun intended,but if you want those extras/upgrades then you need to bite the bullet.

If you keep it for many years and get a lot of use out of it then it's worth  the hit you might

take if you sell if at a future date.

Frank

We decided to go to their asking. So, unless they sold it, we'll have an upgrade.

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 July 2021 - 09:45 PM

That sounds great.

Hope you get the new camper.

The Lance campers seem well built and not super flashy.

I have looked (on line) at the 6.5 lite it's a little

heavy for my 2002 Tundra,but I like the package.

Wet bath would be great.The camper is a little bit bigger

than my Bobcat,wider and heavier.

At this stage we'll stay with the Bobcat.

Post some photos when you can.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 Silverbullet555

Silverbullet555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 04:01 AM

Picked it up tonight. Actually made one more offer which was accepted. Now have to sell the old one.

pzJ71k3l.jpg

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:35 PM

My MIL still owns a ‘90s Lance. It has been on some rough roads and some that she shouldn’t have been on. 😂 Stiil goin’ strong…congrats on your new rig!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users