• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

Just returned from a trip to Colorado with friends traveled to Cripple Creek for meetup with more friends and then we spent a week in Pitkin area for dispersed camping. Along the way we seem to have perturbed some locals for driving the speed limit and not using pullovers. .  First we use them when available and really don't care if you are in a bigger hurry. Sucks when a GREAT trip gets upended by a wannabe. Sorry pisses me off and just wonder your thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• scolded.jpg

Edited by XJINTX, 27 July 2021 - 02:41 PM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:41 PM

I would be pissed also, not to mention being taken aback by someone posting a picture on a Four Wheel Camper site making an issue.  Been plenty of times where I have had someone pushing us, that could have passed but didn't.  We try to pull over at pull-offs when we can and on 2-lane roads that have periodic passing lanes always staying to the right to allow vehicles to pull over.  It has to be safe to pull over.  There have been times a pull-over came up so quickly, it would have been dangerous to try and stop.  It would have been next to impossible for all of you to pull-over at one place.  You were safely spread out.  I thought that post and picture was uncalled for,  JD

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:48 PM

I agree, it’s disappointing when that happens.  Even though we drive at or slightly above the speed limit, there’s almost always someone who feels it’s not fast enough.  We try to pull over any time there is someone on our tail, because you never know when they’ll pass at the wrong time.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

Folks, it’s time to review the Site Rules.  So far there have been 3 posts hidden by different members of the Site Team.  You can agree or disagree with the original post without being crude or rude.  

I am haunted by waters

#5 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:05 PM

I would have never seen that because I am not signed up with "mugshot" or any other social media stuff.    If I am driving the speed limit I'll pull over when it is convenient for me..

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:18 PM

It does seem a little unreasonable to post this on social media, as it is really not that big a deal.   However being a 'local' in CO I can also understand that it can be a bit frustrating, particularly when you encounter groups.   While the roads are often super scenic, steep and winding, some locals are commuting, or just trying to get from A to B and are very familiar with the roads.  On mountain road passing can be difficult to do safely, so it is safer for everyone to pull over when you can.   With the current surge in RVs in the state, I have been guilty of getting a little frustrated getting stuck behind packs of them and their 'toads'  who are (understandably) driving cautiously, but also not being particularly courteous to other drivers be pulling over when they can. 

Unfortunately this may also be coloured by some animosity towards Texans in Southern CO.   While I am sure as WtW folks you all were not part of the problem, but there has been some tension between locals and tourists, particularly with regard to ATV and Side by Sides (not so affectionately known as 'Texas Golf Carts') in some of the mountain towns.  Many of these tourists are 'proudly' from Texas (you know the type), which may have lead to some unfair stereotypes. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:37 PM

Geez. I hate to see what he would do when he is in a line of 20 or so behind a piece of farm equipment , which is often the case in our area. I think it's kinda funny that he has to post it on Facebook though. 

#8 EYEMLOST

EYEMLOST

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:51 PM

Geez. I hate to see what he would do when he is in a line of 20 or so behind a piece of farm equipment , which is often the case in our area. I think it's kinda funny that he has to post it on Facebook though. 

A woman scorned, eh?  ^_^

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

#9 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:22 PM

Having been on both sides of the equation, I pull over when I'm holding up traffic.  Doesn't matter if I'm going 10 MPH over or 10 MPH under. 

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:53 PM

I don't do FaceBorg, so it would have been lost on me. It is rude, but not the most rude behavior people get up to. My goal is to be safe and courteous, in that order.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users