• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:57 AM

i am referring to non-reservations sites, etc.  i dont want to leave anything 'valuable' at the site, but would be nice to come back and still have the place for us to use.

thx for any ideas

go

thx

Oregon

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:04 AM

I've used orange traffic cones.
And there's also the old standby of a cheap lawn chair.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:26 AM

This can be kind of a touchy issue.   If you are talking about a USFS/BLM campground with the an iron ranger (a metal tube to drop a fee envelope in) and tags you hang on the post, then a camp chair in addition to the tag showing you have paid for the site for the night is a great way to mark it as occupied.   We have never had anyone mess with our pretty nice camp chairs. 

Now if you are talking about a dispersed site (ie a spur off a USFS road) then there is the issue as to whether you have any ownership of the site if you are not there.   A few years ago this was mostly a non-issue, but increasingly in busy areas where you may want to secure a site, folks are 'claiming' sites on a weekday with chairs, or a cheap tent then coming back on the weekend to actually use the site and then maybe keeping it 'reserved' for the next weekend too.  In some areas it has gotten so bad that folks are basically abandoning  trailers in prime spots for weeks at time and using at as weekend cabin.  This is usually against the rules, but is so hard to enforce that it happens all the time.

I know that is not what you are suggesting, but just be aware that if you try to 'claim' a site with a chair/tent/cone etc, folks who come later don't know if you are gone for a few hours, or aren't planning on coming back for days.   On a couple of occasions in popular areas we have camped pretty close to one of these 'claimed' sites.

My personal opinion (which is just that) is that if you leave a site, then you don't really have any more claim to that site than anyone else.   As a result I don't try to 'claim' a site if I am gone, I pack up and find a new one when I am done with my days adventure. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:04 AM

Visitation has so increased in some parts of Oregon that some folks, often hunters, are staging their trailer and "elk camp" stuff in the woods for many weeks before their actual visit.

We have met the enemy, and he is US.....to much promotion of the outdoor "adventure" thing.

David Graves

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:09 AM

When I’m in any public pay campground, I always take a close up photo of the registration paperwork.  That gives me a date/time document to prove when I arrived, and how long I intend to stay.  So far, I’ve never had a situation where I needed to use that as evidence.

I am haunted by waters

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:31 AM

+1 on the photos.

We also take a photo of the post with our ticket stub hanging on it.  We also take a photo of the site occupied with our vehicle and FWC parked on the site.

I commonly hang a "Campsite Occupied" sign on a electric fence post in the campsite or attached to a cheap lawn chair. The sign has my ham callsign written on the back which matches my license plate.

These steps have been enough so far.  Maybe we have been lucky.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:00 PM

Sometimes we leave our two camp chairs, sometimes we set up a small, inexpensive tent as well, nothing more, no photos and no signage. We've never had any issues or disputes over a dispersed campsite we "claimed" for a few days while in the area and no one has ever taken our chairs or tent.

Edited by Sleddog, 28 July 2021 - 01:00 PM.

#8 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:07 PM

My personal opinion (which is just that) is that if you leave a site, then you don't really have any more claim to that site than anyone else.   As a result I don't try to 'claim' a site if I am gone, I pack up and find a new one when I am done with my days adventure. 

This s pretty much my outlook and expectation.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 28 July 2021 - 02:07 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#9 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:46 PM

Many here have noted the abundance of new campers in recent years due to what I believe is a combination of "cabin fever" caused by the pandemic, the "overlanding movement," the "nomad movement," the "Snap Chat/Instagram phenomenon," and the almost unlimited mapping/trip planning capabilities provided by the internet.  One of the big problems associated with this influx of new "adventurers" is their ignorance of traditional camping etiquette and protocols.  Last March, I was visiting a friend who was camp hosting at Mesquite Springs CG in Death Valley.  We took off for a day of exploration and when we returned someone was in my campsite.  It was a middle aged man with his grandson.  Their tent was up and they were cooking dinner.  When i told him that it was my spot and pointed out my payment stub attached to the post, he was very apologetic and offered to move.  Mesquite Springs has one of the "new fangled " payment Kiosks where you need to use a credit card.  The fellow said that because the sign said that the sites were first come-first served (no reservation system) he thought that there was no charge and he could camp anywhere.  Again, he was very apologetic . . . he just did not "know the ropes" of camping.  As it turned out, the site next to mine was unoccupied and I pulled my camper into that one, and moved my payment stub to that post.  I took the man to the kiosk and showed him how to register and everything worked out well.  When I returned home I went to Harbor Freight and bought this collapsible cone for $8.99 and wrote "OCCUPIED" with a Sharpie.Occupied Cone.JPG (2).jpg          .  

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:39 PM

I use a "site occupied" sign I got from a State park ranger.

Usually even in some SP campsites I'll hang the sign.

For sure photo of tag and camper helps in places where there isn't

a camp host or the rangers don't make a regular trip through.

Ask Ted sometime about his run in at Kings Canyon a few years back.

One needs to be safe when confronting a "site poacher" there are some

bad people out there.

Stay safe folks but have fun.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users