23 replies to this topic

#1 JordyC

JordyC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:52 AM

VERY new at this, and VERY appreciative! Go easy! 

I own a gen 1 Tundra, V8, 8 foot bed, regular cab. I feel like we want a pop-up camper because it will be a) better size / weight ratio for the Tundra, B) we off-road to some more remote climbing areas, c) better highway mileage / feel. Looking to spend $15k or less on a used camper.

Can I safely ignore all the Lances and other solid sided camper options, or should I not rule them out?

Assuming pop-ups only...

It appears that FWC is the top of the heap. Is that true? 

What FWC model would you recommend? (basically, is a Granby too large, and what really differentiates the Fleet, Hawk, Raven, etc.?)

The only other brand people seem to support here is ATC. What separates FWC and ATC from Palomino, Northstar, Starcraft, etc.?

Thank you thank you thank you!

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:53 PM

Jordy, I suspect weight is going to be your limiting factor, but any of the camper builders you mentioned should have a model that fits.   Plan on airbags or a stiffer spring pack, and going to an E range tire if you don’t have it.  The full size, hard side campers generally are going to be far more heavy than your Tundra can safely haul.  My Northern Lite is 3300 pounds dry, it’s on a 1 ton.

I’ve owned an ATC Bobcat and a FWC Grandby.  In my opinion, the ATC was the stronger build of the two, but both are excellent campers.   ATC also does customization, so you have options beyond the advertised floor plans.  I miss my Bobcat, and will probably get another ATC pop up in the future.  Room is always an issue with these campers, and that is why I sold the Bobcat.  If I do get another, it will be a shell model, with just a furnace as an interior option.  I can cook and eat outside.  

I am haunted by waters

#3 Cottonww

Cottonww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

First of all you must get in the campers that you are interested in and attempt to erect the top of a popup. My wife can not lift either the FWC or ATC even with lift assist struts. We therefore went to a Hallmark Milner which she can lift either with hand crank or rechargeable electric drill. The Hallmark is heavier than either the FWC and ATC and is higher, yielding lower mileage. But it is very well built and has top line equipment. Your 1st Gen Tundra can handle it with air lift shocks but mileage won't be great. Getting one for under $15K will be tough, especially with today's crazy market!

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:57 PM

JordyC as mentioned in another of your posts,I have an 02 AC cab Tundra.

I carry the ATC Bobcat with rear air bags.My mileage is about 15/16 average.

ATC xcampers are harder to find used but a few have popped up recently.

There was/is an ATC Ocelot in the Monterey Bay area.Check the used camper thread

back a couple days might still be there.Very reasonable price.

I have sorta looked at the Lance 6.5 Lite inside much the same as my Bobcat

but it's a hard side and I feel it would be a bit top heavy for the Tundra.

Tundras 1st gen are a very popular truck and there are many members with them.

Some have Hawks or Ocelots on them.

Keep looking. It might help to look inside one.If you see a camper around your area talk to the owner.

Best way to get actual info.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 JordyC

JordyC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:56 PM

First of all you must get in the campers that you are interested in and attempt to erect the top of a popup. My wife can not lift either the FWC or ATC even with lift assist struts. We therefore went to a Hallmark Milner which she can lift either with hand crank or rechargeable electric drill. The Hallmark is heavier than either the FWC and ATC and is higher, yielding lower mileage. But it is very well built and has top line equipment. Your 1st Gen Tundra can handle it with air lift shocks but mileage won't be great. Getting one for under $15K will be tough, especially with today's crazy market!

Today's market seems to have no bounds. I'm looking at FWCs that are 4 years old selling for basically at new pricing. Even 15 year old ones have retained incredible value. But I already got on that train once, isn't that why you buy a Toyota? To resell it down the line with 100k more miles to someone else who is excited to have "the best"? :) haha

I feel like from an information perspective, I'm starting to "get it"....but finding available campers to tour, let alone buy, is quite a bit more challenging.

Current focus: ATC Bobcat, FWC Hawk or Granby
Step 2: learning more about suspension mods

Last question...why don't I hear as much about the Puma and Cougar as the Bobcat?

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:49 PM

Last question...why don't I hear as much about the Puma and Cougar as the Bobcat?

They are just different sizes. Bobcat for midsize trucks. The floor length is 80". Puma/Cougar are full size trucks with 8' beds and thus the floor is 96". The Ocelot is narrower in width. The Panther/Ocelot are full size trucks with 6 or 6.5' beds thus the floors are 80" long. The Ocelot is narrower in width.

Want to see an ATC Bobcat with a custom build? I'm down 50 from you. Use the PM feature.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:16 PM

Both FWC and ATC build good campers, I don't think you can really say that one is better than the other, just slightly different.  They both use aluminum frames and are lighter and sturdier off-road than the other brands.

FWC seems to adopt improved designs sooner than ATC, like the rounded door frame and one-piece roof.  However, ATC will do custom work where FWC will not.  I think the waiting list at ATC is a bit shorter as well.

I've got a 2014 Hawk, which is the size I think you want for a Tundra.  I'm north of Reno if you want to see it, although both the ATC and FWC factories aren't too far from you.

Oops, just noted that your truck has an 8-foot bed.  Hawk is for a 6.5-foot bed.

Edited by PJorgen, 28 July 2021 - 10:17 PM.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:54 PM

Well, you've gotten some good advice on ATC / FWC camper models, so I won't say much other than we've enjoyed 10 years with a first gen Tundra/Hawk combination visiting places we never would have camped otherwise.

Suspension mods start with E rated tires.  If you don't have them, you'll want the beefier sidewalls, and ability to air down (carry a compressor).  Tires take the most abuse, so you want the best you can afford. Don't forget the spare.

Airbags are commonly added to level the truck and help control the load.   They have the ability to adjust, if you're planning on taking the camper off.   Other brands like Timbrens and Summo Springs don't need to be aired up, and they have many fans.

Alternately, a number of folks have had custom leaf springs installed.  I believe one company is called Deaver.

I have found a rear sway bar to be very helpful to control side to side rolling action.   Once bolted on, they just do their job without maintenance.   I used the Hellwig brand and have found them to be great, although the bar is the lowest point of unwanted contact if I'm straddling rough terrain.

Shocks are a whole other subject, but maybe yours will do the job.  I have the Bilstein 5200's.

I should also mention maintenance on the earlier Tundras has caused me to replace front sway bar links and bushings.

Probably your biggest issue is the 8' bed, since your truck really doesn't have the load capacity for an 8' camper.

My Tundra has the 6'4" bed.   My comments are based on using the truck/camper on rougher trails and gravel roads, plus highway miles.  

Edited by Lighthawk, 29 July 2021 - 08:57 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 JordyC

JordyC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:31 PM

Thanks @Lighthawk. Very helpful (and you're not so far down the road in Nevada City!).

You definitely highlighted my problem. Even if I do all the tire/suspension mods I can, I'll still have an 8' bed on a truck that probably can't really handle an 8' camper. I think my options are to go with a short bed Hawk / Ocelot / whatever, or really really focus on an 8' shell camper and be militant about weight. Not sure which way it'll end up, but I know a lot more now than I did a week ago!!

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:09 PM

Jordy, I’ll toss my 2¢ in.  I think a shell would be your best option.  With my Bobcat, I ended up without enough living space after building it out   With an 82 pound dog, my camera and/or hunting gear, and me, we found ourselves competing for space.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users