14 replies to this topic

#11 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:47 PM

I am saddened each time we stop in Walker and see the brochures asking for donations for more trout stocking. Why do they want to pollute good waters with factory fish? To help understand my view, here is a good read -

An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World

We can do better.

The businesses in town believe they are making their living off of this fish. I've asked the county for numbers of tourist dollars vs property tax and I don't get any answer. 

But yeah - as I mentioned above the town had a conniption with the thought of putting Lahontans back in their home water. One man stated that they were "awful" fish. When I asked why he said "they don't fight". 

edit to add: I don't support the local fish fund. My late husband helped them stock the mythical Alpers (wanna talk about a synthetic fish?) because he was the only person who was willing to get in the river instead of simply tossing the fish from the bank into spring waters. There still were a lot of casualties. He'd bring them home and we'd eat them. 

Edited by teledork, 30 July 2021 - 11:14 PM.

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 July 2021 - 12:40 AM

An interesting read is Native Trout of North America, by Robert H Smith.  Bob was a member of Rogue Flyfishers, and an acquaintance late in his life.  His book gives perspective to the numbers of species and sub species of trout/char that populated our waters, and what is being lost.   Another good book is Bob Boehnke’s Native Trout of Western North America

I am haunted by waters

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:41 PM

Although not about the Lahontan, here is another excellent Trout Unlimited film -

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:28 AM

"They are telling us a story, all we have to do is ask."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:10 PM

Another Trout Unlimited Project -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users