#1 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:28 PM

I've been exploring down by the US/Mexico border area south of Tucson for years.  This winter I've been down there 6-8 times, mostly west of Nogales, sometimes over by Bisbee and Sierra Vista.  As spring progressed into summer, the drive from Tucson south on I-19 got to be almost like driving through an area that was burned.  It has been so dry, few of the Mesquites had any leaves and the ground was bare of weeds and grasses.  The Mesquites even looked blackened in the sun. 

In all my hiking this winter and spring I saw maybe six wildflowers.  The vast majority of oaks between Nogales and Arivaca leafless.  Tanks for cattle were dry.

In July we did get some rains.  Usually the only rain I count is what falls in my yard; but over the entire area significant rains happened.  I think the NOAA just said Tucson set a record for rainfall this July, and there is still a day remaining.  Needless to say, we're excited.

On this Monday past, the 26th, Lawnmower Man and I went hiking in the Santa Catalina's and found water running all over.  We hiked high on the Green Mountain Trail, and heard water almost the entire hike.  Saw lots of wildflowers, had to hop across a couple of streams.  Looking east the San Pedro watershed had green all over it.

On Tuesday, I drove with a friend south to Nogales, AZ, then east over the southern end of the Patagonia Mtns on FR 61 to Lochiel, then north along the Montezuma Canyon Road to Parker Canyon Lake, on through Canelo and Sonoita to I-10 and home.

All the way as we headed south from Tucson the Mesquites were fully leafed out, the ground covered with grasses and weeds.  It looked like poppies covered the low ground but we were at I-19 speeds.  What a sight.  Between Nogales and the Patagonia Mtns grasses were knee high and you couldn't see the ground.  We saw prickly poppies three feet tall, pig weed half that and trying to catch up.  East of the Patagonia Mtns the cattle had eaten so much they were mostly laying down, looking happy.

We had lunch in a campsite above Parker Canyon Lake and luxuriated in green.  Green, green, green, what a treat.

it is my first post, and I don't have pictures.  Seeing all the dry and blackened looking Mesquites didn't inspire any over the winter and spring.  I did take my little camera on Tuesday, but never used it, so you folks will have to imagine your own shade of green with happy cows.

We're so excited we're not even complaining about the mosquitoes the rain brought.

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:35 PM

My sister lives near Benson AZ. She sent photos a couple days ago with green grass and flowers nearly as high as her dog's back. quite a welcome change from when we visited in May.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:38 PM

Rain changes the world. We've heard from cousins in the Tucson area about the welcome rains. Thanks so much for posting your very nice story! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 05:02 PM

Thank you for sharing your story.   We know Russel from our winter trips to DVNP.

Great guy.   

We could sure use some of that moisture here in northern California, sans the lightning.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users