Weight

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 03:55 PM

We have a 2008 Silverado 1500, non-lifted with Helwig helpers and Bilsteins. It carries a Raven shell. The GVWR is 7000. GAWR Front and Rear are 3950. With a full tank of gas an extra 5 gallon can, a few things we never pull and both of us, we’re at 3400 front and 3600 rear, for 7000 total…unloaded. 

Depending on where we go, we bring various things. In the winter we carry front and rear chains. If we’re going to Hart, The Steens or Death Valley, we bring an extra spare. We occasionally carry 2 E-Bikes. Of course we bring food, water, safety gear, etc. 

Because it’s a shell and we’re the second owners, I just assumed we’d be at or below spec when loaded. We’ve used it that way for over a year. It drives fine both on road and even semi-technical off road. We load the bulk of our gear in the back seat of the crew cab, so the load is balanced. 

I know every Tacoma with a FWC is over weight, probably by a lot. I’m just wondering how concerned we should be and if there’s anything more we can/should do to mitigate the situation.

Thanks in advance for the advice. 

#2 bimmeryota

bimmeryota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 05:14 PM

The numbers are always going to be the numbers. How stringent you are on adhering to them is an individual choice consisting of many things that have been discussed a lot.
But I think the first thing no matter where you stand on the numbers issue is how it drives for you in the conditions you drive in. Sounds like you have some weight carrying improvements, did you try without before adding them? Is there still something lacking with driving at your fully loaded weight? Tires make a huge difference in handling and weight capacity if you haven’t done that already. Sounds like you also have it balanced pretty well and that distribution will help a lot with handling, I’ve struggled with that having to use the cab for passengers instead of gear.

I say try it out and drive conservatively and pay close attention to everything and make some decisions from there.

Otherwise the easy answer is to just throw money at the problem and get an HD truck with enough listed payload for what you want to do and call it a day.

1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5 XtraCab

3.4L V6 Supercharged, Auto, 33" BFG AT KO2, regeared to 4.70+ARB Rear Locker

1" Ball Joint Spacer front lift, KYB MonoMax

Load carrying: Custom Deaver spring packs

Camper: 2013 FWC Eagle with Silver Spur interior and outside shower

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:56 PM

I have a 2004 Yukon XL with the 5.3 engine, which has all the same driveline, suspension, and brakes as your truck if you have the 5.3, except yours has the cylinder shutoff “feature,” I believe.

Based on my experience carrying loads and pulling light trailers with it I think your drive train and front suspension will be just fine, your rear suspension will probably be sagged more than you might like but ok (air bags and a larger sway bar would improve it), but your brakes will be marginal. They’ll stop the truck fine, but you’ll periodically overheat them with panic stops from highway speed and long descents, and have rotor issues where you’ll want to replace the brakes more often.

I’m still on my original brakes at 140,000 miles (I bought it new), but a change in my commute has me descending a steep 500 foot hill twice a day as of about 2 years ago and they now need to be replaced.

Edited by Jon R, 01 August 2021 - 06:58 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:10 PM

The scales in the spot-check truck weigh stations in Oregon are always active. If the station is not in use, just pull onto the scale and your total weight will be displayed.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#5 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:32 PM

It has the Z85 handling/trailering suspension with the off road package. The Helwigs were on when we got it. We put E rated Wildpeaks on. It drives nicely and isn't squatty at all. The only reason I even thought to weigh it was because I was thinking about getting rid of the bed and adding a flatbed deck for more storage. 

#6 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:33 PM

The scales in the spot-check truck weigh stations in Oregon are always active. If the station is not in use, just pull onto the scale and your total weight will be displayed.

That's how I came up with the weights I posted.  :)

#7 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:16 PM

I'm conservative when it comes to weight.  The one thing you can't test is how the truck will handle in an emergency when you may be braking very hard while aggressively turning to avoid an obstacle.  This is when handling needs to be predictable and when airbags or extra leafs may not help the situation.  My next truck will be a 3/4 ton minimum.  Maybe more if I want to tow a heavy trailer.  Until then I'll stay well within the spec's of my 1/2 ton.

#8 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:00 AM

I'm conservative when it comes to weight. The one thing you can't test is how the truck will handle in an emergency when you may be braking very hard while aggressively turning to avoid an obstacle. This is when handling needs to be predictable and when airbags or extra leafs may not help the situation. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton minimum. Maybe more if I want to tow a heavy trailer. Until then I'll stay well within the spec's of my 1/2 ton.

I’m conservative too. My Grandby is on a gmc 3500hd. A few weeks ago someone pulled out on the highway in front of a truck towing a trailer about 8 cars ahead of us at 65 mph causing a major accident. We had to slam on the brakes to a full stop and yet again we were really glad we had bought an hd truck. It hardly knows that 1800 lbs of loaded camper is there.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#9 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:16 AM

My next truck will be a 3/4 ton minimum.  

That's what started this whole thing, configuring my "next" rig. When I realized a Scout Kenai on a Sherptek bed plus a new reasonably configured one ton would be well over $100K, I started looking at making mine "good enough." That was the first time I weighed it. That said, even fully loaded with two spares, floor jack, water and 50 pounds of chains, it handles surprisingly well. I'll be more selective from this point forward on what I bring. 

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:33 PM

Howdy

Now you are really thinking.....

Budgeting your dynamic weight items ....stuff you bring along not attached to the truck....can make a big difference.

Always stow the heavier items forward in the camper nearer to the trucks center but also secure them or at least against a bulkhead in case of a sudden stop.

On our longer trips of 4-5 weeks we plan to jettison some items along the way and look for thrift shop bargains that fill the bill.

This makes for a nationwide treasure hunt if you will.....

DG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users