34 replies to this topic

#21 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 August 2021 - 02:19 PM

I will chirp in again....you seem to be trying make all this work, good.  But you need to load it up to max and do SAFE field trials on various tracks and at varying speeds to get you answer...and even then, during an emergency turn, recovery from understeering or oversteering or stopping can your rig safely handle it...

Consider this:  "What I would like to know is the weight distribution on those class-As and class-Cs with the loooong chassis with at least 25+% of it's entire chassis length BEHIND the rear axle, and I'm talking about single rear axle RVs.

IMHO; I'm no worse than those RVs."

But your wheel base is 92" and my '05 Tundra for example is 128"....most RVs exceed that...so comparing % of weight behind rear axle while indicative of what might happen...you need to factor in the wheel base since the concept of a lever arm works in both directions...

Anyway, these are just my WAGs and when driving in BFE under rough conditions and far from help, I would work from the premise:  "If there is any doubt. there is no doubt".   Think dynamic and not just static.

Good luck with your project and trying to think outside the box...literally in this case... :D

Phil

#22 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 August 2021 - 03:48 PM

. . . 

What I would like to know is the weight distribution on those class-As and class-Cs with the loooong chassis with at least 25+% of it's entire chassis length BEHIND the rear axle, and I'm talking about single rear axle RVs.

IMHO; I'm no worse than those RVs.

Finally; I've been asking this question that no one seems to want to answer:

Like the common practice of exceeding the GVWR with a loaded TC; how many campers drive/travel with a lighter front axle?

I don't think any of those rolling behemoths travel on the kind of roads (and non-roads) that a lot of us routinely travel.

The problem is you are more likely to loose steering control in an emergency situation (teeter-totter effect).

P.S.: My rig is balanced when loaded; center of mass is in front of the rear axle:

1weight.jpg

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#23 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:53 PM

Lightening the front axle will be detrimental to braking(stopping distance) and steering(loss of)and can reach a point of critical loss. Way Overloaded the rear of my 4x4 suburban many years ago with a pallet of pavers. First turn i hit the brakes to slow down and started my turn, the truck promptly slid straight into the intersection on the loose gravel. You need enough weight on those front tires that they will stay in contact with the road surface.

#24 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2021 - 04:42 PM

The CofG for the Granby is 11" behind the rear axle.

Of the 8ft footprint; 5ft is within the bed, and 3ft is beyond the taillights……

To my way of thinking this is the issue and it is a big issue…

The camper’s COG should be in front of your rear axle. Period. The type of axle you have is of no consequence in this instance. The Grandby is just too long for your truck. I have heard of people lengthening their chassis but this my be beyond your budget.

Could you live with a shorter camper model?

Edited by smlobx, 22 August 2021 - 04:44 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#25 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2021 - 04:49 PM

Like the common practice of exceeding the GVWR with a loaded TC; how many campers drive/travel with a lighter front axle?

—————

While I agree that some TC owners exceed their gvwr I hope that most do not, or if they do by only a couple of hundred pounds at the most. Hopefully not 1000 pounds or more. This is usually an issue on the rear axle.

As far as I know no one that I have heard of ever has a lighter front end after loading their camper..

Edited by smlobx, 22 August 2021 - 04:50 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#26 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:08 AM

—————

While I agree that some TC owners exceed their gvwr I hope that most do not, or if they do by only a couple of hundred pounds at the most. Hopefully not 1000 pounds or more. This is usually an issue on the rear axle.

As far as I know no one that I have heard of ever has a lighter front end after loading their camper..

I can get my front a little lighter with a Wilco Hitchswing, a rack and 2 eBikes. I drive like an old lady to church, it’s rare, COG is still forward of the rear wheel, and nothing like the the Bronco situation.

#27 EYEMLOST

EYEMLOST

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:19 PM

Lightening the front axle will be detrimental to braking(stopping distance) and steering(loss of)and can reach a point of critical loss. Way Overloaded the rear of my 4x4 suburban many years ago with a pallet of pavers. First turn i hit the brakes to slow down and started my turn, the truck promptly slid straight into the intersection on the loose gravel. You need enough weight on those front tires that they will stay in contact with the road surface.

To my way of thinking this is the issue and it is a big issue…

The camper’s COG should be in front of your rear axle. Period. The type of axle you have is of no consequence in this instance. The Grandby is just too long for your truck. I have heard of people lengthening their chassis but this my be beyond your budget.

Could you live with a shorter camper model?

My Bronco's front GAWR is 2,800lbs.

When I load the front hitch with 5 water-filled jerry can, said front GAWR becomes 3,000lbs.

I should be good to go, correct?

219461691_540587383802293_83839442222409

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

#28 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:34 AM

Your GAWR is a number you do not want to exceed.  It is the maximum weight that the axle is rated for.  And regardless of that rating, you want to have about equal weight on your front and rear axles for the most predictable handling.

#29 EYEMLOST

EYEMLOST

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 24 August 2021 - 05:18 AM

Your GAWR is a number you do not want to exceed.  It is the maximum weight that the axle is rated for.  And regardless of that rating, you want to have about equal weight on your front and rear axles for the most predictable handling.

Thanks for the response and clarification.

Looks like an '05+ F-350 front axle is in the Bronco's future-build.  :D

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

#30 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:40 AM

Or a more appropriate camper 😉

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users