23 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:04 PM

I hate fire rings. They are garbage dumps with half burned trash, melted plastic, food scraps, cigarette butts, cans................ and an invitation to leave more trash. During fire restrictions they are an invitation to disaster and the excuse often heard is, "There's a fire ring so I thought it was okay."

These violators have driven by numerous signs saying no fires.

Practice leave no trace. If you want to have a fire, bring a fire pan, build a small fire, put it out cold, and carry all the ash out. Make it look like - as close as you can - no one has been there.

Or learn to do without a fire. Embrace the night. Be quiet and listen to the sounds of night. Learn to see all the wildlife that emerge with the dark. Look at the stars. Feel the cooling air. Enjoy not reeking of wood smoke. Be a more invisible visitor when in wild places.

Yesterday morning Julie and I discovered this on our dawn walk and checked out a dispersed campsite about .5 mile from our spot.

Wolf-Creek-Aug-2021-054-copy.jpg

Egg shells and tortilla chips littered the ground.

Wolf-Creek-Aug-2021-055-copy.jpg

Hard to see in this photo but the really special wet trash was in a black garbage bag in the fire ring with a rock on top.

Wolf-Creek-Aug-2021-056-copy.jpg

The tent stuff sack was not in the fire ring but is in the photo as we gathered all the other assorted trash around the camp.

We returned with the truck and shovel after we vacated the dispersed site we were using - and cleaned up the smaller fire ring there. We cleaned everything up and loaded all the trash into the truck and made the area as natural as we could. The fire ring is gone. We shoveled up all the chips, eggs shells, ashes, and took it out with us.

Wolf-Creek-Aug-2021-057-copy.jpg

It only took the two of us 30 minutes to clean this up.

Two other vehicles used this site for parking the previous afternoon and evening. How could anyone who loves the outdoors not be compelled to clean up a mess like this?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:14 PM

Like the man said.... "it's not my trash.... but it is my planet" . I live in a rural area and I was out for a bicycle ride today... out in the middle of a beautiful road someone took the time to stop and dump a pile of trash and leave .... with what thought in their head? I can not imagine. It will never stop but with more of us being adults to their adolescent behavior maybe we will come out cleaner and they will have an epiphany.... ya nevah  know.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:02 PM

I have started carrying one of those “gabber stick things” in my camper to pick up the trash around the campsite and in the fire ring but I never thought about dismantling the ring itself. That makes all the sense in the world! Ya want one? Your going to have to work for it! 
But it does make me wonder if there will be fire burn spot all over…

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,013 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:28 PM

Why I carry rubber gloves. Some stuff you just don't want to touch. As for dismantling fire rings it depends on where it is. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:18 AM

In my recent trip in Utah we stayed overnight in a couple of dispersed sites.

Perhaps even more distasteful than the trash/garbage was the dog crap.

One of the sites I counted 20+ piles in a 25-30 foot radius of our campsite.  

Disgusting- and in the arid environment I imagine it stays for a long time.

People suck.

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#6 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:41 AM

Lazy filthy disgusting people..... I am astounded by the upbringing of the newer generations. I would have gotten my ass kicked if I had left a scene like that.... of course I would not have ever done so but if I had.....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#7 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 05 August 2021 - 06:38 PM

If possible l always dismantle fire rings at dispersed sites.  I move the rocks as far as possible from the site and in different directions. I bury the ashes and smooth over the ground so no trace is visible. 

I consider myself a fire ring vigilante and take pride in my work. 

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#8 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:26 PM

i ran across almost same mess up the north fork of john day a month ago. they did keep the entire mess piled into  firepit. i keep gloves in truck for this cleanup. i didnt break down the fire ring though. i was trying to get out, and had 5 hr drive in front of me. next time.

Oregon

#9 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 13 August 2021 - 12:19 AM

I pull apart fire rings. The ones I demolished in the Walker Canyon last year have not been rebuilt (yet)

It was amazing the variety of garbage people left behind. I am not sure it would happen if not for the fire ring. I've pulled apart a lot of wilderness rings as well. I have no idea what people are finding to burn at 10,000 ft. 

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 August 2021 - 01:52 AM

How could anyone who loves the outdoors not be compelled to clean up a mess like this?

These people are pigs. 

I'm always amazed they need to build another fire ring, twenty feet from the other fire ring.

I'm especially annoyed when they build fires on bare rock, leaving scars that last decades.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users