• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:04 PM

I agree about fire rings they also make people think because somebody had a fire it is ok.

It seems that people are beginning to realize that outdoors usage and "comfort, fun, social"fire 

are not ok.A few years back i made a post about being against social fires and got roasted by fellow 

members.

I made the post after coming back from a week in and around Kennedy Meadows where we ran across 2 deserted 

camp sites with smoldering fires.

I'm sure any of our members of this form have also come across fires left unattended or abandoned.

At times we have ended up in spots that have limited sites only to find the ground so filthy with remains of fire that i would refuse to let our cat (could be your dog} to enjoy. And i have found pay camp sites just as bad.

My thoughts may be extreme but i would back the idea of zero camp fires in any area that has camp sites.

Yes i am old and grouchy.

Les,lqhikers

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 August 2021 - 10:35 PM

Les you have my,for what's worth,agreement.

Fires IMO in this day of "climant change"are

a thing of the past

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 August 2021 - 02:17 PM

Ski- I've often thought the people in Arizona have a special commandment about not using an existing fire ring.  Everyone seems to need to build their own, even if there are already three or four in the immediate area.  I suppose they build really special fire rings, praying over each individually placed stone.  I think consistently dismantling them is a good idea.

Pogo said it a long time ago, "we have met the enemy and he is..."

#14 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2021 - 05:01 PM

In my recent trip in Utah we stayed overnight in a couple of dispersed sites.

Perhaps even more distasteful than the trash/garbage was the dog crap.

One of the sites I counted 20+ piles in a 25-30 foot radius of our campsite.  

Disgusting- and in the arid environment I imagine it stays for a long time.

People suck.

Earlier this year we took a trip down to BBNP and reserved a remote site down Old Ore Rd. which is a fairly remote and difficult trail for a TC. When we pulled into the site we noticed that behind it was a rise (small hills) with a saddle in the middle which was a perfect place to set a couple of chairs and enjoy the desert sunset.

So I grabbed a couple of chairs and started walking up the slope. When I crested the rise I saw maybe half a dozen little piles with white (and brown) TP sticking out of them. I was incensed!

I walked back down, got my shovel and proceeded to bury the messes. My wife walked up a bit later with drinks and asked “What was the shovel for?” I told her she didn’t want to know…

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 August 2021 - 06:05 PM

If its the kind of campsite where where an hour later someone will be rebuilding the fire ring then I say let it stay. In the kind of spots Ski is referencing then I say yes, dismantle it. 

Solo I don't do campfires anymore. Campfires are a social thing and then I think a propane campfire fits the requirement just fine plus you don't get to bed smelling of smoke.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:10 AM

So, we have a Little Red Propane fire pit.  And we love wood smoke fires.  And, I note that we are only to camp in NF/BLM sites if they already have a firering.  So, if we are dismantling fire rings, are we not making it more difficult to identify sites that are ok to use?

#17 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 August 2021 - 02:14 PM

It is best to use a dispersed site that has been used previously, that does not mean marked with a ugly fire ring. Leave no trace. You can have a wood fire - plan - fire pan, bring your wood, carry everything out and all ash out.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#18 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 23 August 2021 - 02:30 PM

I admit that Mrs. Ted and I have always enjoyed a camp fire and still do. But we have changed our habits over the last few years. Partially by becoming a little more informed and partially due to no choice. The no choice part is because most National Forests in the west simply ban them during the fire season. The informed part has come from knowing many of our fires are human caused and also from our frequent camping trips with the ski3pins.

So now we bring a gas fire pit on trips where we can have a fire. And we do still have wood fires, but only in established campgrounds with fire pits. But since we prefer to boondock, those are few and far between.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:43 PM

In regards to all the ignorance, bad behavior, trash and resource damage we've watched with growing concern in the backcountry, here's a term I heard from a friend today, "It's the Stupidity Pandemic."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:25 PM

The only problem with that  "pandemic" there's no vaccine.

And it spreads super quickly.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users