11 replies to this topic

#11 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:29 PM

We just drove Gaston Rd. last month and it's nicely graded.   I can't believe I haven't used that road before!   We use the Bowman Rd (FS 18), or sometimes drive around from Truckee/Jackson Meadows.   Perazzo is one of our favorites, partially put under protection during Governor Ahnold's reign.

I would also offer historic Henness Pass Rd. to the uninitiated.  Although the road is marked in Perazzo Meadows, Henness Pass Rd really starts at Milton Reservoir (lush grassy, cold and clear lake, great lunch spot) going all the way to pavement at Pliocene Ridge Rd., or even Mountain House Rd. down to Goodyear's Bar.  Don't miss Forest City.

It's fun to imagine the mule teams running night and day to support the Comstock strike.   There's some great views of the Sierra Buttes, looking at them straight on.   I would like to camp at Keystone Gap some October/November, and photograph dawn light on the Sierra Buttes with early snow.  

We think of Henness Pass as the "other way home" when 80 is a mess, and we don't want to go home through Downieville.  

I think it's 20 miles and it is rugged. 

Edited by Lighthawk, 18 August 2021 - 10:30 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 August 2021 - 04:59 PM

I've done Henness Pass before. Its interesting to think it could have been a paved route. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users