Upper bed upper bunk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 05:48 PM

My kids are getting too tall to sleep in the L-shaped sleeping area that I created when I built out my Cougar camper.  So I am going to tackle an upper bunk cot-style bed that will fit along the camper wall. The cot material will span between two oak boards. One of them will be screwed to the wall...

i-sjTpZ7N-X2.jpg

The other board will span between the ledge on the top of the door and the ledge at the edge of the upper bed. Here's the top of the door ledge part, there will be two of these brackets and a hole in the board into which I'll put a spring pin so the board stays put....

i-M6PsPC2-X2.jpg

At the other end of this board will be a hanger bracket like this (in primer right now)...

i-QHscxL2-X2.jpg

The hanger bracket will wrap over the existing bed board and engage with another bracket here so it will stay put...

i-9KmR8g2-X2.jpg

So I will have two parallel boards with the cot material looped for the boards to slide into, and the cot will span about 30" wide and over 6 feet long. I'll need a couple of braces from the outer board angled down into the corner below so the outer board does not bow inward when there is weight on the cot.  When not sleeping the whole thing will stow along the wall. I'll keep you posted as this project evolves. Note that this is for my 9 year old daughter that weighs about 50lbs. This would not be suitable for a young child or a larger, older child or adult. I'll probably add some kind of safety straps. It is a long way to the floor of the camper from up there.

Edited by BlueSky, 06 September 2021 - 10:50 PM.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 August 2021 - 07:26 PM

Interesting idea. Post photos of the finished/setup bunk.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:40 AM

Creative design....

You may want to consider a single support post under the front bed slide below the outboard board.... :) 

Have you asked HER what she thinks of the design ?

I tend to think some sort of guard/restraint on the cliff edge my be in order.

I was a camp counselor a hundred years ago and have seen some enormous bumped heads after a fall from the upper bunk.

David Graves 

#4 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 03:01 AM

Creative design....

You may want to consider a single support post under the front bed slide below the outboard board.... :)

Have you asked HER what she thinks of the design ?

I tend to think some sort of guard/restraint on the cliff edge my be in order.

I was a camp counselor a hundred years ago and have seen some enormous bumped heads after a fall from the upper bunk.

David Graves 

She is actually the one who wanted it. Too much fighting with her sister downstairs on the L-shaped beds. I have some things in mind to keep her in there, and the cot material will bow down a bit too to cradle her in there.

#5 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:49 PM

Finished the project.  Everything worked out great.  Neatly stowed away...

i-J2VSj33-X2.jpg

Deployed....

i-MjtbBHD-X2.jpgi-NW3VLvg-X2.jpg

I put the aluminum square tube in the middle (re-used from a different project, therefore the holes). It is held in place by a couple of small brackets at each end. It keeps the outer board from bowing in and it takes weight off the end that attaches to the upper bed rail board. I put my 50lb kid up there and she could not roll out.  I weight 170lbs and it held me just fine, but I would not want to have adults using it because it puts a lot of stress on the camper wall with all the weight in it.  I would say up to 120lbs is fine. You can see the screws going into the camper wall. There is a frame tube behind there that I drilled/screwed into. The material is duck canvas. I managed to break my wife's fancy and expensive sewing machine making it, and boy is she mad.

i-TW3xZsc-X2.jpg

Edited by BlueSky, 22 August 2021 - 09:54 PM.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:05 AM

Good job with your project! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:17 AM

I would be mad too....should have asked her to sew it.

Looks like a project well completed.....I was pondering how you would stow it and finally reached the same solution you did.

We once owned a small motorhome that had this insane pull down bunk that folded UP to almost flush with the ceiling.....kind of a verticle Murphy bed......sleeping in the clouds as it were.

Well (its) done!

David Graves

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:04 AM

Nice!  

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:02 PM

Nice work. My MIL has a Lance with a small elevated cot along the passenger side above the dinette. We used to stow my youngest up there when he was small. It has a full length safety net to prevent accidental “roll offs”…highly recommended.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:03 PM

I was worried about a roll-off accident in the middle of the night until I put my kid in there and asked her to try and roll out of it, she couldn't do it. The canvas material stretches and bows down enough to keep her in there. Other's results may vary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users