Photo
- - - - -

What are the best sources of air lines, manifolds and fittings for on-board air?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:58 PM

Hello everyone - I know we have a few experts in the group that have spent much time researching the finest airlines, manifolds and fittings to use with an on-board air system so please reply and share your choices with me. In the near future I will be installing an Extreme Outback air compressor to be used for airing up my 37" tires and blowing trail dust off my camper once I park.

I would imagine I will also be using this same air system to power an ARB air locker also but I am planning to use their hose and fittings unless there is something better. Thanks in advance!

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:12 AM

I use "Push to Connect" fittings from McMaster-Carr. Some call them "Poke-n-Hope" fittings. There are less expensive mfg's of these fittings on places like amazon, but those that I've tried all leaked. If slow leaks would bother you buy the air brake version of the fittings as they have a sleeve to fit inside the tubing and keep it from compressing away from the seal.

I've used both polyurethane and nylon tubing, can't say one has any advantage over the other. The nylon *might* be less inclined to compress when unpressurized and then leak for a bit under pressure. Again, the air brake version of the fittings are what you want.

This is the type of fitting supplied by ARB, only ARB uses 5mm sized tubing. Which nearly DNE in the US except for thru ARB. 4mm is extremely close to 5/32", enough so that I've had no problem interchanging tubing and fittings in an industrial setting. (We run a lot of automation on compressed air at my work.) I changed the ARB fittings on the pair of air lockers in my '88 4runner to the 4mm - 5/32" size and have had no problems with the slightly smaller tubing. Can buy those sizes nearly anywhere in the US.

I use NPT bulkhead fittings from Mcmaster to attach the air hose QD's to my vehicles. QD on one side, tube to NPT adapter fitting on the other. The first two of my vehicles to get OBA had a QD at each bumper. In a thread somewhere on OBA installs a guy proposed that instead that the QD's be put in the middle of each side. That makes so much more sense to me that the next install will be done like that.

I use industrial adjustable pressure switches from Automation Direct to control system pressure. These go a little north of $100 each, but they just work and I don't have to fuss with them. The switch on our camper has been in service for nearly ten years  and I've never had to do anything with it.

I put it and an over-pressure blow-off valve (from McMaster) and the regulator mentioned below in an aluminum manifold (from McMaster, starting to see the theme here?) somewhere away from the compressor's hot discharge.

Which brings up a point, the hot discharge from just about any compressor can melt most polymers. I use 3/8 copper tube (from the local hardware store) with steel JIC 37° fittings, nuts, and tube sleeves for the hot discharge air. Using the copper tube I build a bit of an "aftercooler" so that by the time the compressed air reaches the storage tank it has cooled down considerably.

On tanks I've lucked out. The first system has parts harvested from an air ride low rider that I found in the junk-yard. The second system uses a small tank that the Puma electric compressor came with. The next system will use an air brake tank off of a big rig. Can buy those in various sizes usually for less that the commercial OBA & air suspension folks sell them for.

On the ARB supply vs the rest of the OBA system, I set the pressure switch to 125-130 psi, and then use an industrial pressure regulator (from McMaster) to set the ARB part of the system to 85-90 psi.

I won't claim that mine is the best OBA install, but I dislike having to work on systems soon after they are built. I keep looking for better parts and ideas so this is a summation of where I'm at right now.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 August 2021 - 04:29 AM

Thom, that's great info.  I'm a noob when it comes to on board air, and you used a few expressions I am not familiar with.  Can you explain what QD means?

Also part numbers and/or pictures would be super helpful as I am hoping to install OBA soon too.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:06 PM

Thom, that's great info.  I'm a noob when it comes to on board air, and you used a few expressions I am not familiar with.  Can you explain what QD means?

Also part numbers and/or pictures would be super helpful as I am hoping to install OBA soon too.

QD -> quick disconnect 

I am haunted by waters

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 August 2021 - 03:32 PM

Doh

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 12:46 AM

Any commercial truck repair place will have tons of fittings, hose and etc. 

Some of the larger chain truck stops usually have some also....Pilot, Loves, Flying J etc.

And don't forget your local Frieghtliner dealer...service center.

David Graves

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 August 2021 - 02:23 AM

Locally I have a couple truck parts retailers that I can visit for most of these parts, but if mail ordering them is preferred then these are the places that I've used (except for the air tank as Ryder Fleet went under).

Push to Connect DOT Fittings:

https://www.mcmaster...ings-for-air-8/

Push to Connect Tubing:

https://www.mcmaster...r-use-with~air/

NPT Bulkhead fittings:

https://www.mcmaster...-pipe-fittings/

Pressure switches:

https://www.automati...essure_switches

Air Manifolds:

https://www.mcmaster.com/manifolds/

Truck Air Brake Receiver Tanks (one of several I just found searching that specific phrase):

https://www.truckspr.../air-tanks.aspx

JIC 37° Flare Fittings:

https://www.mcmaster...opper-tubing-8/

JIC 37° Tube Nuts:

https://www.mcmaster...-copper-tubing/

JIC 37° Tube Sleeves:

https://www.mcmaster...-copper-tubing/

I use 3/8" copper tube for the compressor discharge plumbing. You want to put extra bends or a couple of coils in it for vibration relief.

This is the QD that I use:

https://www.mcmaster.com/6534K17/

They connect and disconnect differently than most and some folks don't like them. I like them on the wall or on a vehicle because you can simply push the hose's male fitting into them w/o needing to draw the locking sleeve back. On the end of a hose they're not so great because pulling the hose back will cause them to release the blow gun that was on the end of the hose (sound like I've done once or 300 times?) when you're coiling up the hose after use.

If you opt to use the more std QD coupler there is a little known thing that works on them. They are the same OD as an AR-15's std "bird-cage" flash-hider so the Cap-Plug™ made to fit over those also works to keep grit and grime out of your OBA QD coupler.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 21 August 2021 - 02:36 PM

Wow, much great information here so far - thank you all very much!

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 21 August 2021 - 02:54 PM

Great resource list, thanks ntsqd!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:02 AM

Glad that I can pass along what I've learned thus far.

There are other sources, obviously, these are just where I've gotten to in my own learning curve. One of my very first air systems used an ARB pressure switch. It worked well for the ancient small air horn (JC Whitney sourced in the late 70's) that system supported, but is a lower set point than I wanted for airing up tires and what-not.

Two non traditional OBA compressors to look at are the Puma 12 VDC compressor and the Cailf. Air Comps 12VDC compressor.

The Puma is loud. It works well, and my DD has one under it (WAY too loud to be inside) that runs daily (that ancient small air horn has been moved) and has been for the last couple of years. It comes with it's own small reservoir tank.

The CA Compressors compressor is so quiet that you can have an inside voices conversation while standing directly over it. It is amazingly quiet, but it isn't inexpensive. It does have an oddity to it though. The compressor motor looks to be 120VAC and it comes with it's own dedicated inverter. This too comes with a small tank. I'll be putting this compressor on my '96 Bronco in the next couple of months.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users