• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 coho51

coho51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:58 PM

I just looked at a Alaskan camper with over cap bed that was for a small truck. It was kinda in rough shape with a little wood rot on floor and cabinets that needed help. Guy wanted 1k for it. 54” wide at floor 85” long 17” from floor to flair outs so just perfect for my Tacoma just 1’ longer than the bed length. Anyone think it’s a bad investment for so much work?

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 August 2021 - 11:03 PM

If it's 54" at the floor will that fit between the wheel wells?

If you are good with wood work and other handy stuff,

probably not a bad deal.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 22 August 2021 - 01:39 AM

54" wide will not fit in a Tacoma but even if it did fit, an Alaskan camper is way too heavy for a Tacoma. However, an Alaskan, mounted on a trailer would work with a Tacoma.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 22 August 2021 - 03:09 PM

I’m no expert on Alaskans but 54” wide at the floor seems way too wide. My full-size long bed is 50” at the wheel wells, which is the critical measurement for sliding it in. Do you mean 54” at the back of the camper, aft of the wheel wells?

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 coho51

coho51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:38 AM

You all were right, I misspoke. The very bottom is 42” and the widest is above the bed rails at 54”. Is was definitely made for a small truck. I’m just trying to decide if I want to tackle this job. The 4 jacks are probably worth $600 and they very well may be heavy campers but I see where an 8’ one only weighs around 1500 lbs. my Tacoma is built for heavy things + airbags. My last camper was 1000 lbs and it was like nothing was back there. I do appreciate all and everyone’s input.

#6 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:23 PM

My 8ft CO is 1500# dry weight so this one would be a bit less, if that helps calculate payload. Generally Alaskans are about 15% heavier than an equivalent-sized 4WC or comparable. $1000 is cheap compared to the cost and effort you will probably be putting in for restoration work. Read up (this site is a good resource) on the things that can go wrong and the work needed to repair, see if it still sounds like a good project.

#7 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 24 August 2021 - 02:30 AM

A Tacoma's payload is around 1150 lbs. So a dry weight camper at close to 1500lbs and then adding people and cargo, gas and water is going to over load the brakes and axles even if air bags are installed to help the springs and shocks. It could tax the cooling system as well.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users