• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#101 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:22 AM

If we get what they say... then Sunday & Monday we'll get more rain then we got all year combined.

There might be lots of mud slides associated with this storm though, maybe 50 will close?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#102 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:43 AM

Started at 3-5 inches expected. Now its 2-4 inches. I expect half an inch when it finally arrives. My rain gauge said 0 after the first wave. Now it wasn't much but it wasn't 0. I opened up the rain gauge and found a spider living inside. After evicting it my gauge is working again. .3 inches after the last wave. It doesn't take much to close 50 so I'm thinking you're right. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#103 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:49 PM

Already down to 1-3 inches and "moderate to heavy" rain. Seems they like to start out with a worst case scenario rather than underestimating. Still its a nice storm and every bit helps. 

#104 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:38 PM

Not much here at the Monterey coast

Hope I didn't jinx the rain with my new gutters.

About 1/4" but it's a start.

Felt good walking as the rain stopped.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#105 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:54 PM

U.S. Forest Service 

Eldorado National Forest 

100 Forni Road 

Placerville, CA 95667 

530-303-2412

www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado

f13f1819-ace3-4afb-8bfb-7ffbe3ac6671.png

News Release

For Immediate Release

October 22, 2021

Media Contact:

Jennifer Chapman, 530-957-9660

jennifer.chapman@usda.gov

www.facebook.com/EldoradoNF

Twitter:@EldoradoNF

Eldorado National Forest Urges Extreme Caution During Storm Event

Debris flows, flooding and rockfall are likely

PLACERVILLE, Calif. - The National Weather Service has issued a flood watch beginning Saturday evening, and a winter storm watch beginning Sunday evening for the Sacramento Region, including the Eldorado National Forest. The amount of precipitation expected creates a risk of debris flows, flooding and rockfall especially in steep canyons within the Caldor Fire area.

Movement of soil and rocks is a response to an intense rain event like the storm predicted for this weekend and can be destructive. Debris flows can occur suddenly and cause damage to structures or threaten the safety of people nearby. Flooding is expected along streams and rivers. Structures near waterways, bridges, culverts, and low water stream crossings are especially prone to flooding.

Debris flows, flooding and rockfall can occur without warning. If you are in the foothills and mountains, avoid steep slopes, and drainages especially in the Caldor Fire area, but also any where else affected by the storm.

Many Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) treatments have been completed in the Caldor Fire area over the last several weeks to mitigate erosion, protect infrastructure and increase safety. These treatments will have localized effects, but can not prevent a storm of this magnitude from having impacts.

Again, please be aware that both burned and unburned areas of the forest are at risk from the storm. 

Visitors are encouraged to avoid unnecessary travel and to monitor the National Weather Service website for updates on the storm: https://www.weather.gov/sto/

###

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#106 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:14 PM

That applies to all the fires, not just Caldor. Even if the storm wimps out it still won't take much in the burn area to cause problems.

.57 at my my place so far.

#107 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:28 PM

They're sticking with their 2-4 inches and up to 50mph winds. Time to batten down the hatches and prepare for the worst. I'll go check on my dads house and make sure he's ready. Definitely not time to go camping!

#108 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:05 PM

I'm figuring we'll get over 9 inches here. It rained hard yesterday morning. I was able to get all the drainage on the property cleaned up and ready for the challenge. The gullies will be washed. There will be issues with the burned areas and roads.

Today
A 40 percent chance of showers, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 48. South wind 3 to 6 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Tonight
Rain, mainly after 11pm. Temperature rising to around 49 by 11pm. South southeast wind 7 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Sunday
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 48. Breezy, with a south wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between 3 and 4 inches possible.
Sunday Night
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 40. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 18 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 3 and 4 inches possible.
Monday
Rain before 11am, then showers after 11am. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 43. Southwest wind 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Monday Night
Showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Tuesday
A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#109 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:35 PM

I'm figuring we'll get over 9 inches here.

Sounds good to me but the reality vs. the forecasts has been underwhelming so far. Sure hope that this isn't the best/only deluge of the winter. I forget which year it was but I recall a previous winter that started out like gangbusters, then the spigot got turned off... my reading is that the La Nina events can be like that.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#110 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:18 PM

Sounds good to me but the reality vs. the forecasts has been underwhelming so far. Sure hope that this isn't the best/only deluge of the winter. I forget which year it was but I recall a previous winter that started out like gangbusters, then the spigot got turned off... my reading is that the La Nina events can be like that.

daverave, you are correct. Many of the past years have been as you describe. Last year we had 18 inches of snow the first week of November, then it was dismal.

On the bright side, the last small storms really dumped rain here as they past quickly through. Today at noon we received an emergency alert from the County about the approaching storm. Told us to be prepared to evacuate and shelter in place. We have both covered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users