149 replies to this topic

#61 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:01 PM

It is time for my annual rant about the extension, years back now, of the end of daylight savings time from the first part of October to the first weekend in November. I hate these dark mornings! Move it back, move it back to the first full weekend in October! Do it!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#62 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:26 PM

It is time for my annual rant about the extension, years back now, of the end of daylight savings time from the first part of October to the first weekend in November. I hate these dark mornings! Move it back, move it back to the first full weekend in October! Do it!

Better yet, eliminate daylight savings.

I am haunted by waters

#63 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:40 PM

Hah, and up here in Alberta we’re voting on whether or not to stay on DST permanently!

#64 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:33 PM

It has been terminated in Oregon subject to adoption in Washington & California.  However, I think it will be permanent PDT rather than PST. This means that morning Oh Dark Thirty will arrive early & stay. Leave it to the Left Coast Legislatures to pick the worst choice.

We will likely be out of sync with BC, also.

Of course, they could decide to be like China & be 5 time zones wide but all be one time zone.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#65 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:09 PM

Can't blame the California legislature. It was a ballot referendum that passed asking for year round daylight savings time. It has not, yet, been adopted. My take is most believe it is a "savings" plan and saving is good, right? Or, they just do not get up in the morning. We distance ourselves further and further from the natural world. We'll just set our clocks to standard time from now on. No more annual rants from us. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#66 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:39 PM

It has been terminated in Oregon subject to adoption in Washington & California.  However, I think it will be permanent PDT rather than PST. This means that morning Oh Dark Thirty will arrive early & stay. Leave it to the Left Coast Legislatures to pick the worst choice.

We will likely be out of sync with BC, also.

Of course, they could decide to be like China & be 5 time zones wide but all be one time zone.

Paul

That's the way most of Europe is.Except Portugal.

It works for them I guess.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#67 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:55 AM

since retired, my get up time is whenever...   go

Oregon

#68 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:19 PM

since retired, my get up time is whenever... go

Yep, me too.

It might be kinda fun, for a change, to be like one of those oddball time zones. Such as Afghanistan, which is +4:30 hours from UTC...or Newfoundland, which is -3:30 hours from UTC... Or the really wacky Chatham Islands (NZ), which are +12:45 hours from UTC.
...those guys are REAL time rebels! 

;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#69 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:36 PM

I lived in BC in 1975/1976 in the interior near Cache Creek & 100 Mile House. There I was introduced to Monty Python and the “As It Happens” radio show so was tickled to hear a skit on As It Happens one day where some disaster was going to occur. The pretend news announcer said in all seriousness, “The world will end tonight at midnight, one half hour later in Newfoundland. “

Somehow, that got to my funny one so thoroughly that I still remember it when thinking about DST.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#70 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:20 PM

I turned my furnace (thermostat) on again this morning; it was 57°F in my house when I got up.
I think I'll now leave it on (in its winter program) for the duration. We have near/below-freezing nights in the forecast.

IMG_20211006_114024.jpg

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users