Photo
- - - - -

Upcoming trip to ID, UT, NV and memory lane - suggestions and advice?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 September 2021 - 03:31 PM

We are getting ready for a 3 week or month long exploration. Late September departure. We would appreciate any suggestions for things to see along the way. Our first leg:

- South central Idaho, then around the west end of the raft river range, where my dad grew up (he will be 100 in less than a month). It will be interesting to explore places he lived when young.

- Thence to the Ruby Mountains and the ruby lake wildlife refuge. We got a glimpse of that this spring on an overnight. Looking forward to getting to know that area a little better.

-Then by way of Cathedral Gorge SP, we will head to Escalante, from which we will take the Burr Trail and Wolverine loop. The ferry is out of commission at Bull frog, due to low lake levels in lake Powell, so we will take the long way around north east to the Cedar mesa area. Lots to see and do there. Will also go over to comb ridge which has so many interesting archeological and geological sights.

- Considering making a run up to beef basin. What do you think? Is it worth the trip? Thinking of heading there through Monticello and then NW to Beef Basin Road. Never been there so your suggestions and comments would be helpful.

Those are the highlights planned. Who knows what will really happen though? 

Thanks for any tips.

Happy travels,

Tony

Edited by AWG_Pics, 05 September 2021 - 12:59 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 September 2021 - 04:50 PM

If you haven’t been to Edge of the Cedars in Blanding, that is a fantastic look into Ancient Puebloan culture.

I am haunted by waters

#3 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 September 2021 - 04:54 PM

If you haven’t been to Edge of the Cedars in Blanding, that is a fantastic look into Ancient Puebloan culture.

We have not, Steve. A year ago some kind folks from Bend suggested that, but we did not and now regret it. So it is must on this trip. Thanks for the suggestion.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 05 September 2021 - 03:28 PM

I'd recommend crossing over to I-15 from Cathedral Gorge up to Cedar City, then East on UT14 to Cedar Breaks NM. Follow UT14 to the 89, turn North on it up to UT12 and take that all of the way to Escalante.

We found Hole in the Rock to be worth all ~120 miles of wash-board, but I tend to opt for the 40 option on 4-40 roads. Others may not find it worth the trouble. I'd say that if you only go as far as the Devil's Garden on this trip it will be worth it and likely whet your interest in seeing more at some future date.

Edited by ntsqd, 05 September 2021 - 03:28 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 September 2021 - 03:44 PM

I'd recommend crossing over to I-15 from Cathedral Gorge up to Cedar City, then East on UT14 to Cedar Breaks NM. Follow UT14 to the 89, turn North on it up to UT12 and take that all of the way to Escalante.

We found Hole in the Rock to be worth all ~120 miles of wash-board, but I tend to opt for the 40 option on 4-40 roads. Others may not find it worth the trouble. I'd say that if you only go as far as the Devil's Garden on this trip it will be worth it and likely whet your interest in seeing more at some future date.

Thanks for the tip. I will put hole in the rock on the itinerary. We are not shy about washboards and such. It is all part of the thing, ya' know?

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#6 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:22 PM

Have been to Beef Basin a few times, one of my favorite places. Great driving, very few people, more ruins than i will ever be able to aim a camera at. Truly a special place, Cedar Mesa is also amazing for the above reasons.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:35 PM

Have been to Beef Basin a few times, one of my favorite places. Great driving, very few people, more ruins than i will ever be able to aim a camera at. Truly a special place, Cedar Mesa is also amazing for the above reasons.

Thanks Wango. Great information. We love Johns Canyon, Honaker Trailhead and the Collins Spring area. Looking forward to the Beef Basin exploration. We better plan several days there, weather permitting.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#8 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 06 September 2021 - 01:38 AM

The road(s) in and out can be fun, especially when wet. The ruin parks have numerous camps around them.

The citadel in cedar mesa is a fun hike. Did a few others in that area as well.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#9 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 06 September 2021 - 02:27 PM

Here are my comments.

• Nevada State Parks do not have a camping reservation system, but there were very helpful when I called or emailed them to get a sense of how busy the campground was.
  • Cathedral Gorge is impressive but isn't large.  In a couple of hours you can see it all.  Be sure you walk through the "slot canyon" located at the end of the road, right side.
  • I picked up an extensive brochure (56 pages) on rock art sites in Lincoln County at the Cathedral Gorge Visitor Center.  The brochure was prepared by Lincoln County.
  • I found the Wolverine Petrified Wood trail interesting.  My blog May 2014 
  • Dinosaur foot prints are kind of fun to see located south close to the Hole in the Rock Road.  
  • Going west of the Raft River Range will be close to The City of Rocks.  I spent a month there volunteering.  My blog May 2019.
  • Camping at the top of the Moki Dugway (west side) has a gorgeous view south.  This is not a secret place and had a lot of people on the weekend when I was there.  

Have a good trip.  

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:12 PM

Here are my comments.

• Nevada State Parks do not have a camping reservation system, but there were very helpful when I called or emailed them to get a sense of how busy the campground was.
  • Cathedral Gorge is impressive but isn't large.  In a couple of hours you can see it all.  Be sure you walk through the "slot canyon" located at the end of the road, right side.
  • I picked up an extensive brochure (56 pages) on rock art sites in Lincoln County at the Cathedral Gorge Visitor Center.  The brochure was prepared by Lincoln County.
  • I found the Wolverine Petrified Wood trail interesting.  My blog May 2014 
  • Dinosaur foot prints are kind of fun to see located south close to the Hole in the Rock Road.  
  • Going west of the Raft River Range will be close to The City of Rocks.  I spent a month there volunteering.  My blog May 2019.
  • Camping at the top of the Moki Dugway (west side) has a gorgeous view south.  This is not a secret place and had a lot of people on the weekend when I was there.  

Have a good trip.  

Thanks a lot!

Our first night on the road will likely be City of Rocks. Your blog was very helpful. Can't believe I have lived for 7 years and played off an on for nearly 50 years in Idaho and never made it to City of Rocks!

We stayed one night in Cathedral Gorge in early May this year. Got in late and left early so did not look around much. The Lincoln County brochure sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip on the slot canyon.

I just discovered the existence of the Wolverine petrified forest a couple of days ago. Seems like it is worth the stop and walk.

I have seen people camped on top of Moki Dugway. We will check out the view.

Appreciate the response and suggestions.

Tony

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users