6 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:02 PM

6108 miles, 40 days, 4 Montana State Parks, 3 National Parks, 7 Breweries and enough smoke to send most people away.  Fun trip even with smoke, 90 degree days, electric problem in the camper, a wrenched back, and a sick dog. Susan and I both agree 40 days is way too long.  Click on the link and click on the pictures to enlarge.

Montana 2021

Decided to do this in one post, so sorry for the number of pictures.  Please enjoy.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:45 PM

My goodness, that was quite the adventure! You visited so many wonderful places. Thank you for posting your story, photos, and memories for us to enjoy along with you. You took a lot of obstacles in stride and carried on, the seasoned travelers that you are. I don't believe we'll have another summer in the West without the shroud of smoke. Oh, I ought to give you directions up to the town in Wisconsin to see the Lutheran Church my great grandfather built. :) 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 September 2021 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the great trip.I enjoyed your stories.

40 days is a lot to be out.Our last Alaska trip in 2016 was 42 days.

Saw a lot and was glad to get home. Although I would do it again.

Sad to see the fire destruction at Flathead Lake. We know someone

who lives there but haven't been contact for a very long time.

Don't even know if they still live there.

Moose Drool is one we would get when visiting the Yellowstone area.

Although we can get it around home.

Great photos of the animals and scenery.

Thanks again.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,940 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:45 AM

Awesome trip report.  I have fond memories of Pizza in Red Lodge, MT.  40 days is too long, hmmm?  Good to know.  We are planning several longer trips in my retirement, 60+ days each.  Would breaking up the trip with a motel stay make a difference?

#5 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:34 AM

Hi Vic,

During long trips we like to stay at a motel once a week or so and recharge our bodies by taking long hot showers and sleeping in and eating a couple of meals out.  We don't often stay in one place for more than 5 or 6 days so staying at a motel once a week or so is usually not a big deal.

Craig (in Talkeetna the past two days and heading for Wasilla tomorrow)

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#6 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 11:00 AM

just back from 8 weeks in Wyoming Montana IDAHO Washington all boondocking great time

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:50 PM

Good on Ya Kids for making lemonade out of the lemons served up by the fires and smoke.  We wondered often how things were going for you on this trip inasmuch as we try to keep up with what's going on fire-wise out there. We're on the same team as you are on the Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing--a very enjoyable brew and our go-to while visiting.

Good to hear about your experience as to "time away from home" limits.  We're in the advanced daydreaming stage of planning 5-6 weeks away to NV, ID, and MT in 2022 and one of the first hurdles is "will we be happy being away for so long?"  Our entire immediate family, including our only grandchildren, live very close by to our Raleigh, NC home, so the suffering is real when we're away for extended intervals. Perhaps the saving grace will be consideration of having them join us for several days at Elk Lake Lodge and taking the little ones to Yellowstone NP for day trips from there.  We'll see!

Thanks for another fine TR!

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users