#1 Dr Paddle

Dr Paddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:02 PM

Hi, folks -

I'm repairing and overall fixing up the Grandby I bought new in 2000. We've had many adventures in her. Alas, she has been stored for years in the desert at 4,000 foot elevation and is showing that abuse. Also, some of my family's efforts in slipping her on the truck and removing her have been a bit clumsy. I'll be replacing the lift panels, sealing the roof, replacing turnbuckle access doors, replumbing, and a lot else. So, I will be grateful if you will please tolerate and support my requests for guidance.

Today's ask is for suggestions on how to deal with the separated siding on the front of the camper. Per the photos, you can see how the edge molding has been forcibly removed and the siding peeled off. I'd like to reuse the paneling if possible, as replacement is hard to find. The paneling is torn a bit around the edges. There are also vertical cracks at the upper corners of the window.

I'm thinking I should lay butyl tape under the panel edges, replace the existing edge molding, and refasten with low-profile screws. Then, I would add rubber bumpers to protect the paneling from banging against the front of the truck bed. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Kevin in San Diego

Attached Thumbnails

• camper_front_damage1_small.jpg
  • camper_front_damage3_small.jpg

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:27 PM

The paneling itself looks sort of reusable.  The lower corner where it is torn away is really just a case of new (longer/fatter) screws and some butyl tape.  The crack might be indicative of cracked framing though.  Only way to be sure is to remove more of the trim and paneling so you can inspect the framing and get it rewelded if necessary.

#3 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:50 AM

And worst case scenario, you might try poptop overland in San Diego and see if they carry the siding materials to fix. I have a similar issue and need to replace the front panel and found an RV repair shop in hemet that carried the siding and trim parts, or at least something close to work with.

#4 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:33 AM

That really doesn't look too bad. I would use 3M 4200 or 5200, as it will work as both an adhesive and a sealant. You could replace the corner trim if you want it to look nicer, but it could likely just be bent back into shape, sealed, and re-screwed with some longer screws.

#5 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:22 PM

I’d also pop out all those rusty screws and replace with stainless square drive and a dab of sealant, that’s assuming all is still solid

#6 Dr Paddle

Dr Paddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:20 PM

Thanks a bunch to Vic, oldhotrod, ClimberRob, and Ripperj for advice on how to repair the front of my camper. I appreciate your expertise. I will proceed!

One more thing about fixing the front, though. I note that the newer campers have rubber bumpers on the bottom edge to keep the camper from ramming into the top lip of the truck bed (see https://tinyurl.com/2ex963uu). Can somebody suggest a source for those bumpers? I just discovered that the three center vertical tubes behind the paneling on my camper have broken loose from being smashed against the truck bed rim. I'll have to see if a TIG-welding friend can fix them or I'll have to make some brackets to fasten them in place. Thanks!

Edited by Dr Paddle, 30 September 2021 - 07:25 PM.

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:14 PM

Thanks a bunch to Vic, oldhotrod, ClimberRob, and Ripperj for advice on how to repair the front of my camper. I appreciate your expertise. I will proceed!

One more thing about fixing the front, though. I note that the newer campers have rubber bumpers on the bottom edge to keep the camper from ramming into the top lip of the truck bed (see https://tinyurl.com/2ex963uu). Can somebody suggest a source for those bumpers? I just discovered that the three center vertical tubes behind the paneling on my camper have broken loose from being smashed against the truck bed rim. I'll have to see if a TIG-welding friend can fix them or I'll have to make some brackets to fasten them in place. Thanks!

Just set a 4x4 in the bed in front of the camper.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, siding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users