Photo

DC-DC Charger...Does It Ever Need to Be Disconnected When Stopped?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:39 PM

My question refers to the possibility that current could flow through my Victron DC/DC charger from the BB battery in the Hawk into the Tundra battery...or, when Tundra is on Battery Tender in shop that current could go from Tundra into the BB in Hawk...

When parked on trips or in shop, I have been opening the breaker and isolating the BB, but do not know if that is necessary..

When and if I need to run my Warn winch off the Tundra battery, I will need to have the motor running for power from the alternator and then would open breaker to prevent the alternator from too much load..

Thanks for any insights...

Phil

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:24 PM

The Victron Orion chargers do not allow current to flow back to the truck source. No need to shut it off for that reason. Although if you are doing truck maintenance where having power could cause damage or injury, I’d disconnect it anyway for double protection.

(Paragraph deleted due to error pointed out by Vic below)

Makes sense to shut off the Orion if you are worried about overloading your alternator while using a winch. It can be shut off via bluetooth and the phone app.

Edited by Jon R, 19 September 2021 - 08:55 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:07 AM

Thanks Jon...forgot about the Bluetooth....but is very simple to open the breaker mounted under the hood on the firewall...appreciated the info....no really easy way to disconnect the BB; so breaker is the point of disconnect..

Phil

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 September 2021 - 05:14 AM

When your Tundra is on the battery tender I would shut off the Orion charger or disconnect the camper battery to avoid overcharging the camper battery with the tender.

Jon R - I don't think there is any need to turn off the Orion or disconnect the Camper battery when the truck starting battery is on a tender.  Yes, the Orion may sense enough voltage to turn on and charge the Camper battery, if it needs it.  The Orion would function the same way as if the truck was running, and it is smart enough for that, so why second guess it when using the tender?

#5 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:25 PM

I will say that I had to play with the settings on my Victron DCtoDC unit so that the camper battery would charge because the engine shutdown detection was/is set to 14v (?) and due to voltage drop from my alternator to the Victron is was less than that so it wouldn't allow current to flow so no battery charging.  I lowered that value and it now is fine :-).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:12 PM

I will say that I had to play with the settings on my Victron DCtoDC unit so that the camper battery would charge because the engine shutdown detection was/is set to 14v (?) and due to voltage drop from my alternator to the Victron is was less than that so it wouldn't allow current to flow so no battery charging.  I lowered that value and it now is fine :-).

Good stuff from all of you and appreciated...KM:  Is the voltage drop you have due to wire sizing between alternator/Victron/battery?  Mine is wired with 4 gauge....

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:42 PM

Jon R - I don't think there is any need to turn off the Orion or disconnect the Camper battery when the truck starting battery is on a tender. Yes, the Orion may sense enough voltage to turn on and charge the Camper battery, if it needs it. The Orion would function the same way as if the truck was running, and it is smart enough for that, so why second guess it when using the tender?

Agreed Vic. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Jon R

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:00 PM

Good stuff from all of you and appreciated...KM:  Is the voltage drop you have due to wire sizing between alternator/Victron/battery?  Mine is wired with 4 gauge....

Could be; I think I 6 guage but it's probably a run of about 15'.  I see 14v at the battery, and sometimes see 14v at the charger but it's fluctuates between 12.4 and 13.5 most of the time so I see the victron cycling on and off.  With bluetooth though, I can just turn off  the engine shutdown detection, let the batteries charge and turn it back on to protect the truck battery (I've been adjusting the detection voltage so I don't have to do that but worried that if I set it to low, I could run the truck battery down).... now, we don't use much battery power (LED lights, maybe the furnace, so we really don't have to charge much).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:29 PM

Could be; I think I 6 guage but it's probably a run of about 15'.  I see 14v at the battery, and sometimes see 14v at the charger but it's fluctuates between 12.4 and 13.5 most of the time so I see the victron cycling on and off.  With bluetooth though, I can just turn off  the engine shutdown detection, let the batteries charge and turn it back on to protect the truck battery (I've been adjusting the detection voltage so I don't have to do that but worried that if I set it to low, I could run the truck battery down).... now, we don't use much battery power (LED lights, maybe the furnace, so we really don't have to charge much).

My Bluetooth and complete Victron / Battleborn Li battery set-up was installed in June and I have used the Hawk on two trips since then....but observed, recorded and dinked with DC/DC, solar and 110v charging systems ...first off the Li set-up is outstanding...the DC/DC charger is a game changer when no solar or 110V input is very high or non-existent...on start-up of Tundra the output of the DC/DC is about 30+ amps and decreases as SOC on BB increases...going from Bulk to Float...when Tundra is shut down, the DC/DC output stops...not sure why you would ever disable the DC/DC shutdown when vehicle motor/alternator stops as you sometimes do...

In the final run-up I believe that Vic's explanation of the DC/DC cycle makes sense and I will stop disconnecting the breaker when Tundra motor is off....with or without Battery Tender...will only use the breaker if I ever have to use my Warn winch..

Phil 

#10 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:49 AM

Your 4 gage wire and shorter wire run is apparently keeping your voltage at the charger high enough that your charger isn’t cycling, and probably also doesn’t need to do the “”is the engine still running” test every 2 minutes.

Edited by Jon R, 21 September 2021 - 01:32 AM.

Jon R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users