• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:43 PM

With winter around the corner, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with trying an insulated thermal pack to keep the camper, and particularly the bed area warmer?  

I made a DIY thermal pack a number of years ago using the same material as FWC and it has worked well, but as we spend more and more time out during the shoulder and winter season, I am wondering if I could do better with a thermal pack with actual insulation?   Something like Warm Window Fabric or some other type of insulated fabric? 

I am sure this is a little bit of a lost cause given how poorly insulated the rest of the camper is, but I do notice that with sleeping E-W, the furtherest forward sleeping spot is noticeably colder than the rest of the camper, and as a result this is where much of the condensation forms.  If that area were warmer we could easily drop the thermostat a few more degrees over night.

I am also wondering if anyone has done anything to insulate behind the lift panels, or maybe even the lift panels themselves?   It would also seem much brighter if the panels weren't black, so maybe there is some sort of stick on foam that would insulate and brighten the lift panels?

Eager to hear about anyone else's success or failure in trying this! 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#2 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:19 PM

There are definitely threads here where people made their own out of insulated fabric,  but I don't think those same people had a regular one to compare it with..   They were happy w/ them, but I don't remember reading a comparison of theirs vs stock.  (sry, just noticed who the OP is, and I'm sure you've seen all the same threads as me : ) )

I insulated inside all the cabinets.  Made covers for the windows.  All with the same 1/2" thick foam insulation w/ foil sides.  I also insulated under the mattress w/ the same foam to help keep the bed area a little warmer.  My wife seems to think it helped.

An area of concern is around the fridge...  It is not tight, and basically open to the outside.  I've  been using the ceiling fan, exhausting air, to help pull in the sides and bring the top down when I close the top.  And I can feel a large volume of air coming in around the fridge. 
Has anyone done anything about the fridge area?  I've not come up w/ a good way to get to it, w/out taking the entire front of the cabinets off... so that has not been fixed on mine.   I thought about spraying foam around it through the gaps, but that would create a future problem when replacing the fridge. 

Edited by wicked1, 19 September 2021 - 02:26 PM.

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:42 PM

I don’t have any bright ideas on this, but I would like to remind folks adding insulation (or anything else for that matter) to always consider fire safety. One of the ways you keep an enclosed space safer is by not introducing large amounts of material that may continue to burn or even small amounts of material that makes toxic smoke. A DIY thermal pack introduces a lot of material, with one corner of it very near the stove.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:43 PM

I do remember some other folks trying insulated thermal packs, but did not have great luck finding those threads.  I will look harder.  

I have noticed the same thing about air leaking around the fridge and drawer below the fridge while lowering the roof with the fan sucking the sides in.   I have thought about looking for a way to seal this up (maybe by removing the vent covers on the outside) but haven't actually investigated.   It also made me think about adding some vents on the counter top behind the stove (over the fridge) and somewhere lower in the cabinet so that in the winter you could slip some foam into the outside vents to seal them and have the fridge dump the waste heat into the camper. 

First things first - I will make some insulated window coverings. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:50 PM

I don’t have any bright ideas on this, but I would like to remind folks adding insulation (or anything else for that matter) to always consider fire safety. One of the ways you keep an enclosed space safer is by not introducing large amounts of material that may continue to burn or even small amounts of material that makes toxic smoke. A DIY thermal pack introduces a lot of material, with one corner of it very near the stove.

This is a good reminder.   My current DIY thermal pack is the same material that FWC uses - Kimberly Clark Evolution which now appears to be called 'Block-It NOAH'.   It doesn't appear that this offers any fire ratings, so no mater if your thermal pack is DIY or from FWC you should be careful near open flames. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 Mykiss

Mykiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerrace British Columbia

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:07 PM

I remember seeing how to DIY thermal pack a while ago, posted by Rando or Ski3(I believe), but can't track it down. Would you gents paste the link please? 

Thank you

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:07 PM

All this talk of drafts has me feeling quite pleased with how I did my Puma rebuild.  When I stripped it down I removed all the factory RockWool and replaced it with 1" solid insulation, filled in any cracks and taped it all with Aluminum Duct tape.  No drafts.  Doing a retrofit like this is not for everyone, but something to think about when/if you have any of the interior wood paneling off.  

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:57 PM

I remember seeing how to DIY thermal pack a while ago, posted by Rando or Ski3(I believe), but can't track it down. Would you gents paste the link please? 

Thank you

Building an Arctic - Cold Weather Pack

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Mykiss

Mykiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerrace British Columbia

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:22 AM

OMG thank you very much!!! I tried searching it under the" thermal pack " but nothing came up, then tried searching your posts but only the first few were available for view...

project for my wife B)

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:57 AM

Some interesting reading on the topic...

Lineman's Building a Thinsulate thermal pack thread from 2018

Homemade thermal pack thread from 2014 (multiple ideas in this one.... car cover, moving blanket, oven mitt material, Warm Window, polyester batting and ripstop, etc)

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users