#11 Mykiss

Mykiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerrace British Columbia

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:35 AM

Some interesting reading on the topic...

Lineman's Building a Thinsulate thermal pack thread from 2018

Homemade thermal pack thread from 2014 (multiple ideas in this one.... car cover, moving blanket, oven mitt material, Warm Window, polyester batting and ripstop, etc)

Thank you, lots of good ideas. 

#12 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:16 AM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Hmmmm... I admire the elbow grease determination it takes to retrofit your FWC into being draft proof. But... Isn't some draft important for oxygen in the camper?

I've been cracking a corner of 2 opposing windows by the door, and cracking the fan cover on top as I've been told it's a safety measure to prevent croaking from carbon monoxide poisoning when running the heater.

Does everyone here crack the windows a bit? With all the drafts in a stock FWC, can I stay warmer by closing everything up tight?

I've got a feeling I'm going to hear the Gospel according to St. Vic, and I eagerly await...

Thankx!

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#13 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:39 PM

Has anyone had success working with an auto upholsterer to make a thermal pack?  The FWC price is high ($800 I think), and I certainly do not have the tools or skills to sew something up like lineman.  I contacted a few tailors and they weren't interested in the project. I was planning to contact a few auto upholstery places as I think they would have the tools and skills to make something for the Hawk.

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 05:45 PM

Has anyone had success working with an auto upholsterer to make a thermal pack?  The FWC price is high ($800 I think), and I certainly do not have the tools or skills to sew something up like lineman.  I contacted a few tailors and they weren't interested in the project. I was planning to contact a few auto upholstery places as I think they would have the tools and skills to make something for the Hawk.

Check with a boat canvas shop, too.

I am haunted by waters

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:51 PM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Hmmmm... I admire the elbow grease determination it takes to retrofit your FWC into being draft proof. But... Isn't some draft important for oxygen in the camper?

I've been cracking a corner of 2 opposing windows by the door, and cracking the fan cover on top as I've been told it's a safety measure to prevent croaking from carbon monoxide poisoning when running the heater.

Does everyone here crack the windows a bit? With all the drafts in a stock FWC, can I stay warmer by closing everything up tight?

I've got a feeling I'm going to hear the Gospel according to St. Vic, and I eagerly await...

Thankx!

Just like our house up here in Calgary, I appreciate warm non-drafty temps in the winter when it is really cold out.  Being able to decide when/where the fresh air comes in makes a big difference in how comfy the camper is.  And yes, it helps to crack a window or turnbuckle door to keep the condensation down and the air fresher.  

#16 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 October 2021 - 12:26 AM

I've been told it's a safety measure to prevent croaking from carbon monoxide poisoning when running the heater.!

If the heater isn’t failed in some way, the combustion gases exhaust outside. The stove, on the other hand, is a CO threat in normal operation.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#17 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 12:57 AM

Has anyone had success working with an auto upholsterer to make a thermal pack?  The FWC price is high ($800 I think), and I certainly do not have the tools or skills to sew something up like lineman.  I contacted a few tailors and they weren't interested in the project. I was planning to contact a few auto upholstery places as I think they would have the tools and skills to make something for the Haw

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

I'm a DIYer, legendary cheapskate, with a vintage 1970's Husqvarna sewing machine. The $800 I coughed up for the "official" FWC insulation pac is the best $800 I ever spent.  I paid for it completely by drinking cheap beer for a month.... :rolleyes:

I was amazed at how warmer the rig is, and the thermostat no longer constantly cycles on & off thru the night. Whether you make one yourself or buy it, do it!!!

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#18 VelveetaFog

VelveetaFog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 12:15 AM

OMG thank you very much!!! I tried searching it under the" thermal pack " but nothing came up, then tried searching your posts but only the first few were available for view...

project for my wife B)

I made Ski3pin's thermal pack in 2019. We've been very happy with it. Easy to make, super cost effective, and has lasted so well for our winter ski trips. Now we just have to fix that ceiling condensation!

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 October 2021 - 12:19 AM

Its not so much to get fresh air in but to get the moisture out. Did you try calling All Terrain Campers? Thats where I got mine. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users